Registered Charities?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Jitender, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just had a guy in a suit and tie knock on the door claiming money for a hearing loss charity. Mum answered door first, then I met the guy at the door, went on about the hearing condition. I was then passed over a laminated flyer giving details of the condition.

Didn't seem right, was taking my time to read what was on flyer, he then tried to grab the flyer from my hand without me fully reading the whole thing :eek:

Was very weary of him. Just didn't feel right - know I've done the right thing.

Going around wearing a suit and tie collecting money from sometimes vulnerable people isn't on :mad:

I asked for a registered charity number and the guy should have provide an ID badge, this wasn't on him and just gave the number out and then started getting all worked up when I started asking how much of the proceeds of the charity collection go to the cause.

Motto of the story is never do things in haste or rush. Take your time and make informed decisions.

Charities shouldn't be offended when asked these questions and get all worked up.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Am now thinking I should of called the police.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not coming around your address again, you ask too many questions! :rolleyes::D

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They were dodgy people...:)

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The problem is no one knows who to trust anymore, never had this particular charity come around before. always been the known major ones.

Surely if he is honestly collecting for the cause shouldn't get paginated giving up a bit of time, not pulling it out of hand - rude!

I think this is all coming with the 'change'.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Had a phone call once off a so called charity said I owed them 500 and that if I didn't pay ASAP would take me to court, told them to f off and do there best am sure this tactic works on some people

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes they were false.

Gave me alphanumeric 'number' :mad:

Should only consist of numerals only.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You should have pretended you were deaf, gauged his reaction then ranted and raved at him! Seriously though, apparently proper charities that come knocking aren't allowed to take a donation in person at the door, if you wish to contribute you have to sign up to donate x amount (£10 I was requested for) per month, which automatically gets taken from your account as you have to give them your details should you wish to give. Am I missing something here? Whatever happened to gratitude for whatever amount donated? What legitimate registered charity requires people to give their bank details over to a stranger on the doorstep? And what type of people use the veil of charity as a front for basic fraud and deception? The mind boggles.....