Registered electricians

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bright_Spark, Mar 28, 2017.

1. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

This post is mainly for anyone who is thinking of hiring an electrician and Why it is best to hire only a registered one. His qualifications have been checked and verified. He is fully insured to work in your home, He can issue Insurance / council accepted certificates, He can self certify his work so you will obtain your Part P certificates at no additional cost to you. His work is guaranteed for 6 years by his Scheme provider ie NICEIC or NAPIT these are the two major providers, so look for the logo. His test instruments are annually calibrated & meet all current regulation testing requirements. His work and business is on site inspected annually to ensure his work meets the required standards and conforms to the current wiring regulations. Above all it takes the gamble out of choosing a qualified tradesman. By using an unregistered electrician you are playing Russian roulette. He may be qualified, he may have insurance but then he may not be qualified or insured. Would you know? If a fire developed and destroyed your house through inferior electrical work you have had done, your insurance company would ask to see the certificates or they can void any claim. Plus we are pretty helpful and knowledgeable, So is it worth it?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Even if work was ok and something went wrong think they be in bit of trouble without test certs and being unregistered insurance companies don't need much leeway to wriggle out of something

3. bright_Spark

The scheme providers should be advertising like this to Joe public, never mind checkatrade and rated people etc. I think NICEIC and NAPIT get paid not to tell people the info from insurance companys so they dont pay out

Sparkielev likes this.
  4. Sparkielev

Landlords are main culprits most know rules but get Billy I can do everything to his work, they don't bother with any form of testing then ring me when **** hits the fan

5. bright_Spark

Same here, I charge them double what I would normally in these circumstances,

Sparkielev likes this.
  6. fire

fire Well-Known Member

BRAINWASHING...

Registration should be a free service to the tradesman. You should be free to register, show your credentials and proof of ID etc and follow an application to register.

From that point everything is handled simply by if the registered for free spark causes a mess he faces prison, simple really. All this Building Control bull-**** and pay the registrar bla bla bla is just wrong full stop.
    Bad workmen should be prosecuted just the same as a criminal who is caught robbing OAP's furthermore if the registration is free then there is no excuse for a non registered tradesman and therefore prosecution has more validity. Any tradesmen facing prison would be more inclined to do a good job for sure.

I could get all political about this and how the system is used to control the population and force you to have to pay into a bureaucratic despotism but it would most likely go over the top of many peoples head.

Same as current regulations for a Kit Car, you are deemed stupid and not capable of building a car at home so you should not attempt it and if you do you and what you have done must be inspected and forced to pay huge amounts of money to have it tested because you are too stupid to build your own car. Soon it will become more like you are too stupid to work on your own car and you will have to take it to the garage because you are stupid and not certified to use a spanner.

The point of free registration is to enable that tradesman to put his details into the database so that when he makes a mess, authorities can trace down the responsible party and investigate it. So because the registration costs money it increases the chances of a member of the public to be abused by a bad workman.

bright_Spark likes this.
  7. bright_Spark

However much I totally agree with you, as currently things stand, a trade registered body costs money to join, so for all of the reasons I have mentioned it is better for the consumer to use a registered electrician.

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

So, if a part-p (qualified spark :rolleyes:) wired a 9.5kw shower in 2.5t&e, on a 40A breaker and the house burnt down.
    Would the householders insurance still pay out, would the part-p scam provider pay, or would the tradesman's own insurance pay?
    ????

9. bright_Spark

Well I should really of put in my post full scope member not simply a domestic installer, but in answer to your question, an insurance company would pay out as the homeowner had employed a registered electrician who will have issued the correct paperwork. The homeowners insurance company would no doubt be looking at claiming from a third party. The point is the homeowner would be covered.

10. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Did a landlords job for a large 14 bed town house conversion. Failed o all levels. Rang up a month later and asked why it was a fail and could we just send a pass. As I said in another post until it's compulsory to be licenced cowboys and diyers continue and we will be picking up the pieces

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    longboat and bright_Spark like this.
  11. Sparkielev

Reckon the scam providers would have to cough up as he obviously not a spark and they should of checked

bright_Spark likes this.
  12. bright_Spark

But even so the householder is not at a loss (financially at least)

13. fire

fire Well-Known Member

That is so true, Article 50 is being placed on table tomorrow so leaving the EU is happening. Rules may well be changing and so will the ability for us all to change them rules once again.

14. bright_Spark

Lets hope so, I am all for registration of all qualified sparks to be on the register for free and to adopt a similar system such as Australia has. A gas safe register for plumbers a electric safe register for us. The trade would be more reputable than it is now. I am only glad I am heading towards retirement.

longboat likes this.
  15. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I don't get why it tho that electrics is open to anyone to have ago at. Why is gas gas safe they both are as dangerous as each other. If anything electrics are more dangerous

16. bright_Spark

It SHOULD be ilegal for anyone to do their own electrical work, the problem is that the un registered people who are doing electrical work are dangerous but they can't see it. It puts peoples lives at risk and it is all to do with money. If customers were not so keen to get a bargain priced job from unscrupulous tradesmen then it will never stop. Prosecute the homeowners too that would stop it.

17. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I don't understand how places such as baq get away with it. They sell consumers units. Offer a leaflet and your away. They don't ever sell correct testing instruments

18. bright_Spark

I got a call today with regards to a shower a customer needs fitting, it is a council house and they had to ask permission to have one installed, the council insisted that they must only use a registered electrician and they want copies of the certificates. Funny how no unregistered electricians have priced this job. This is how it should be for all jobs, not just the council.

spen123 likes this.
  19. Sparkielev

B Q and SF would lose a lot of money if it all got more regulated

20. bright_Spark

I remember a time when you could only go into an electrical wholesalers and buy if you had an account and you were qualified.

spen123 likes this.