Regs for buried gas MDPE.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Oct 22, 2016.

1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello again,

What are the regs, if any for burying about 20mtrs of 35mm Gas MDPE from a semi buried meter box to a property wall please? or do I have to use Tracpipe or similar. Cost is paramount.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

32mm yellow mdpe cheaper, Tracpipe cost is shocking.:eek:
    Under a garden the gas pipe service should be 375mm deep and under a footway 450mm. The trench should usually be 200-300mm wide.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    FatHands likes this.
  3. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Cheers Kiab. Re the trench width. I am proposing to run the MDPE adjacent to a footing so is the width crucial as I will possibly struggle with 300 width? Also does anyone know about creating a 'lime' soakaway for the condensate as there is no drain nearby? My Gas Safe man suggested this. Cheers all

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

If cost is paramount then use a spare bit of garden hosepipe with a couple of jubilee clips.....:eek:

But assuming the cost isn't paramount but safety and getting the job right is - bed the MDPE in sand and use some yellow gas tape above it to warn anyone digging there in the future.
    One continuous length under ground, no joints.

I've used the soakaways a few times, no issues at all. My local merchant supplies them with a bag of chippings as well.
    Side entrance is best.:)

FatHands likes this.
  6. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Right - got it -I'll dispense with the hose pipe. Thanks KIAB for the link. As the trench is over a a soggy lawn on a short run, I'll get the Newcastle spade out!:rolleyes: Incidentally, I got one GS guy out to cost out signing off the installation only to told that he doesn't 'like' buried MDPE (despite it being approved in the regs) and insisted on having 28mm copper running along the walls on my Gd II listed buiding!! His excuse was that someone might inadvertently dig up the copper and weigh it in for scrap! (Cant bury unprotected copper can you?) :confused:

7. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Are there any Gas Safe regs that specifically say that MDPE is OK over Tracpipe?

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

MDPE is what the gas networks use throughout their entire network and in my mind is safer to use sub terrain than trac pipe, as there are no sections which can corrode whhich can happen with Trac pipe on the autoflare fittings if too much protective sleeve is removed and the proper barrier tape not used

One thing that you will need to be aware of is if you use MDPE then the section where it come back to surface a GRP preformed sleeve will need to be used to protect the pipe from mechanical damage and UV light

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Cheers all