Removal of old paste before wallpapering?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Larry1979, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Larry1979

Larry1979 New Member

Hey,

We've stripped the wallpaper off one wall in the bedroom (which came off dead easy, just peeled right off in clean strips which was a win with the wife!). It looks like there's bits of paste residue on the wall though. We want to paste new paper up on the same wall - got a paper and paste that's a 'paste the wall' version - so just wanted to know if I should remove the old residue first or if it's alright to straight paste and put up the new paper with the old residue underneath?

Cheers in advance

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go over the wall with 100 grit abrasive paper to smooth over the surface, apply a size coat of paste ( use a thinned down mix of the paste that you will be hanging the paper with), leave overnight and lightly flick over again with 120 grit to remove any knibs and hang your new paper.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Will the 100 grit rough the existing paste or ball it up?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wash it off with clean water! Probably dry any way if not op has damp wall!

5. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I would sand down, give a coat off Gardz and your ready to paper. Good idea would be to cross hang with 1200g lining paper prior to top paper

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Can i nip in and ask procedure for papering a freshly painted wall?

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What kinda paints on the wall Koolpc....

Emulsion I guess ?
    Matt / Silk (Nahhhhhh) / Vinyl Matt

Or have you 'painted' the wall in marmalade or maybe some other kinda spreadable delight :D

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Vinyl matt