Remove Mortar from Breeze Block Walls

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Adrianp, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Adrianp

Adrianp New Member

Hi Guys, can anyone help with this question. I have a bathroom I want to re-tile, as some of the tiles are popping off.

Behind the tiles there is a white kind of cement or mortar, its become very dry and I guess is why the tikes are coming off. Behind this mortar is dark grey breeze blocks..

I guess I have to remove all this mortar before I re-tile? There's quite a bit to do and by hand it seems sloooow going and im worried that if I use a hilti power chisel it might crack the blocks..

Any idea how to do it?

2. Adrianp

Adrianp New Member

adding a pic

Attached Files:

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

its the old tile adhesive,

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I definetrly would not use a hilti on it. Overkill surely. Surely you can just go over it? PVA it first.

Im no tiler hopefully someone else will comment.

5. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

Not sure about how to remove old tile adhesive. If it was me and I was just replacing those few tiles I get my handy little multitool out.

Sorry I couldn't help you anymore. Hopefully OtherS Will Be Able TO throw A Few Ideas

6. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

In the pic it looks like other tiles have de bonded themselves.

If not, dampen the tile adhesive, leave to soak in a bit, and it may scrap off.

Also......DON'T use pva

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you looking at tiling the complete room or just replacing those few tiles in the picture that have popped off

Tiles & PVA - NO

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Good idea about the multi tool!

The reason why I said to use PVA is this is a repair job.

Where I have made repairs in the past I have come back to find tiles on the floor.

I then PVA then they stuck firmly on the second attempt. I wouldn't use PVA going on to a fresh surface.

Just interested why is wrong?

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hmm I've just done a little digging, there is a huge debate over using PVA primer.

Not to open can of worms. But it has worked for me and a tiler suggested it.

But now looking maybe its best to look for a recommended sealer. Ask a tile supplier especially if you are going over old surfaces. As they dropped off with me.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As you mention tore, plenty of advice against using PVA as a sealer for tiles

Also against many manufacturers instructions

There's always gonna be people that have used PVA and had no problems with tiles falling off
    Luck maybe ? But why take a chance

Use the right product for the job, it's not difficult, just a little more expensive than PVA

Look at SBR primer. Looks like PVA but chemically different.
    SBR can be used to prime / seal dusty surfaces, brick, concrete and also timber before tiling

tore81 likes this.
  11. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

If you're re-tiling the entire bathroom, a decent cold chisel and lump hammer takes them off reasonably quickly. I'd recommend chiselling off as much of the old adhesive as you can and then fixing some proper backing board for the new tiles.

If just a couple of tiles, chisel off old adhesive, primer with SBR or a SBR-based bonding slurry, then new waterproof adhesive and grout.

12. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Here ya go Tore......same principle on walls

FatHands and Adrianp like this.
  13. Adrianp

Adrianp New Member

Do you think an angle grinder might be better for this if I can get a similar blade?

14. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

Can't beat the trusty multitool.

Might be able to get away with an angle grinder though. Let us know if you try it.

15. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Grinder will do it.......but you'll have to be bloody careful.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That stuff looks like it would scrape off easily if a steamer was used.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. Adrianp

Adrianp New Member

I dont have a multi-tool, you think its worth buying one?

18. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

definitely. well worth a buy if you ask me.

19. Adrianp

Adrianp New Member

the walls are in a terrible state, im thinking of boarding over the top of it all... what do you guys think? what should I use?

20. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

Boarding over it. Removing all the tlies first though right?

If you boarding over it just dot and dab it. Should be a pretty straight forward job.