Removing bathroom pedestal basin

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Teki, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Is there a way to remove a bathroom basin that is supported by a pedestal and attached to the wall with sealant without damaging tiles?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use Stanley to cut sealant around basin.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yeah...he's a good lad, our Stanley! :)

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I tried that, but there is also sealant/adhesive on the back of the basin holding it to the wall?

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

12" hacksaw blade in paw pushed against tiling, carefully?, depends on the gunk that the installer used.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only thing I can suggest is disconnect trap,& connections to taps, remove fixing screws, & applied light pressure to front of basin, & try working a scraper down between the back of basin & tiles.

Just hope it hasn't been gripfill to the wall like the one was here, ended up having smash basin to remove it.:eek:

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

There's a hole in my bucket dear KIAB, dear KIAB:rolleyes:.....lol.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes, but I would carry on slicing across the top with the stanley(or a sharp chisel)on the tiles. Every cut should allow the basins weight to pull it a bit more away from the wall.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Cheese wire! Get a bit of earth wire from T&E between 2 bits of lath and work your way through it.

KIAB likes this.