Removing carcas without disturbing worktop?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Marello, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Marello

Marello New Member

Hi all,

I'm sure this is a fairly basic question to some of you, but please bear with me, I'd be very grateful for some pointers and your expertise.

I recently bought a new build flat. It's clearly been built quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if some shortcuts have been taken given that they did obviously smart things like glue the bathroom mirror to the wall....

The kitchen is small, and has all the plumbing and electrics in place for a slimline dishwasher. The space designated for the dishwasher currently is a standard kitchen unit, ie. it has the carcas, shelves and cupboard door on it.

Is removing the carcas something someone with literally no DIY experience can do? I can see there are screws inside the cupboard connected it to nearby units which I can remove, but I'm concerned it may be attached to the worktop by some method I can't see. Some websites I've read on the subject have implied the entire worktop may need to be removed, or else the worktop may be glued to the cupboard.

Any help appreciated!

2. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

There will be screws through into the neighbouring base units. Remove these screws

There might be screws going upwards into the worktop or blocks near the sides of the unit if so remove these.

Remove the plinth then try to pull the unit out. The work tops might have glue under them though. So you might have to remove the legs from underneath and give the bottom of the unit a bit of "persuasion" to loosen it a bit. But if you do this make sure you do have all of the screws out

3. Hi Marello.

Yes, they can be removed without disturbing the worktop - usually at least...

What's behind the floor plinth - do the units have 'legs' or are they sitting on their sides? If 'legs', that's good news as they'll be better quality units, and you can screw the legs in to lower the carcase away from the top.

The base unit will be screwed to the worktop through obvious fixings - metal angle brackets or plastic blocks - if you can't see any, then the chances are that that particular unit is not screwed to the top.

So, undo all the side screws you can see (and replace them if they are not obviously joining the units together!), lower the legs by screwing them upwards, and see if the unit drops - it may need a little persuasion as it could be a tight fit.

4. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Carcases can be removed. Remove the plinth at the bottom of the units. Remove any screws holding the unit to the worktop and adjacent units (warning, the screws holding it to adjacent units could be hidden behind the hinge plates, and can also be screwed through from adjacent units) There may well be screws holding the unit back to the wall, which might be hidden behind the service void too. After removing all screws, you'll have to lower the adjustable feet of the unit, allowing it to drop. Just a case then of sliding it out.;)

When you fit the dishwasher, the plinth may well have to have a bit on the top, cut out, to allow the dishwasher door to open fully. (follow the MI's instructions) ;);)

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Without wishing to repeat the above advice......

You may find that the unit has been fixed to the wall with right angled brackets which are located behind the back of the unit, ie. in the service void
    These would have been fixed in place with the unit back removed and the worktops not fitted
    After securing to the wall, the backs will have been slotted in and the worktops fitted
    So now, these fixing wont be accessible

This might not be the case as carcass construction may vary, units may have been fully assembled with fixed backs

Worst case scenario will be after removing all visible fixings, just wrench the unit off the wall

7. joinerjohn1

That's right Dave, although it's quite usual when fitting kitchens to only screw the end of run units to the wall (anything in between is usually just screwed/fixed, to adjacent cabinets) So the OP might be quite lucky. ;);)

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

We may even be lucky JJ and the OP will let us know how this job goes ?

So many questions
    So many answers
    So much advice
    So little feedback

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

He's unconscious on his kitchen floor after wrenching the unit out and whacking his head on the cooker behind.

10. joinerjohn1

Marello's busy, ripping the unit out.. Sadly , someone's fixed it back to the wall with epoxy inserts and has also glued the adjacent cabinets together. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. Andrew Simpson

Andrew Simpson New Member

Hi, I've got a very similar issue where I can't remove a kitchen cabinet in a new build, in order to install a dishwasher.

I've removed every screw I can find, but something is holding just the left hand side, the right hand side is free. There's a cooker on the left, so I don't know if this is hiding any fixings.

Thanks

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Slip the cooker out, probably a fix going through the side

13. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Generally I would fix from oven side to reduce screws on show. Oven will be fixed with a couple of torx screws (t20 i think) then just slide the oven out, maybe pop off the filler panels too to avoid damages.

Plinth will need to be altered if its a freestanding d/w

Andrew Simpson likes this.
  14. Nis999

Nis999 Member

Hi Andrew, The base unit will probably be fixed to the wall with a bracket at the top (now hidden by the worktop) which you cant access as its in the service void behind the back panel. I had to do this job (to fit a dishwasher) for a customer last month. Had to cut an access hole with a multi cutter in the top left of the back panel, then you can see the bracket and remove the screws. Just be watch full for hidden pipes/cables in the void.

Anthony Foley likes this.
  15. Andrew Simpson

Andrew Simpson New Member

Thanks all for your replies. There were another four screws in from the cooker side. After I'd taken them out the cabinet came out (though I had to break one of the legs as it was far too tight a fit against the lino, even when it was adjusted fully). Nis999, you were right about the bracket, but luckily I could see this without cutting anything out.

My next problem is that there's no way to get the plumbing in through to the under sink cabinet. It's completely sealed that side, so I guess I'm going to have to drill a hole or two.

Scott, you are right about the plinth too. What makes it harder though is that the plinth for the right hand side of the dishwasher will only be 6 inches long, and there's nothing to clip it to before the other plinth (at right angles) starts - if that makes sense.

(And the developers made it sound like it would be a breeze to whip out the cupboard and get the washing machine in!)

Oh well... Thanks again all, and hope you have a great Christmas!

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Use dynamite to make the holes for the plumbing

17. Scott Green

Scott Green Member

Just cut the plinth to required size and mitre bond it to the existing plinth

18. Kerry23231

Kerry23231 New Member

Hello,
    I have a similar question... this is prpbably obvious but any help or advice is much appreciated

I want to put in a slimline dishwasher, there is sort of enough space in an existing carcass, which is on legs. The only issue is the height, because of the base of the carcass/unit that bit will need to be removed.

I've faffed around moving the plinth and some screws but not touched the legs yet.
    I'm just wondering how is best to do it? (& is that what I even need to do?)

Can I get the saw out and hack it away or will the whole unit and worktop come crashing down?

It's a double unit carcass, the other half is wasted space/corner but the pipes will go through there to feed from pipework under the sink to the left.

Hope that makes sense, thanks

Attached Files:

19. Kerry23231

Kerry23231 New Member

This is the layout..
    Sink/pipework to the left
    Drawer unit next to it, there is space above for the pipes to fit through
    Empty unit with space for the dishwasher?

Attached Files: