Removing ceiling artex containing Chrysotile (white) asbestos

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by charlie30, Nov 11, 2008.

1. charlie30

charlie30 Member

This old topic again but this time I've done as much research as possible in advance :)

A survey for my property has revealed Chrysotile (white) asbestos in the textured paint that covers my ceilings. It's been there probably 2 decades and is stable if undisturbed.

We are looking to remove the textured coating to get nice flat ceilings, and was given this advice from the asbestos company, which suggests I may be able to remove it myself:

Textured coating is considered to be of a low fibre release risk and whilst it is in a good condition and in a position where it will remain undisturbed it may be left in situ and should not pose a risk to health.

It is now classed by the HSE as a non licensed material and therefore does not require the use of an HSE licensed removal contractor to carry out work on it or remove it.

However where removal is carried out in a non domestic environment a signed clearance certificate must be issued.
    Removal where necessary should be done within a controlled environment as should any repair work.

During work upon or removal of this material light dampening of its surfaces is advisable in order to suppress any asbestos fibres that could potentially become airborne (water is suitable for this) the covering of surfaces below the work area is also advisable.

Where removal of the textured coating only is required the use of a steam wallpaper removing type devise is suitable.

Although airborne fibre release levels when working with this material will usually be well below HSE control limits, the use of Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
    and Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) whilst working upon it should be considered.

This material when removed must be disposed of as hazardous waste in line with the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005.

All work on materials containing asbestos should conform to the Control of Asbestos Regulation 2006

My plan is to basically remove (attack) the ceiling artex with a wall paper steamer and scraper, with appropriate protection to myself (dust filter, disposable clothes), and also covering the rest of the room with disposable plastic sheeting. My council will collect asbestos from domestic properties once a year.

Does anyone have tips or experience of doing this type of work they can share?

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Why not skim straight over the top - may need a light coat of bonding if very heavily textured then multi finish.

3. charlie30

charlie30 Member

The stipples in the artex are about 5mm to 10mm in places, plus one day I suspect the artex will no longer be stable and would prefer to get rid of it once and for all. I can imagine the kids smashing it to pieces with a broomstick one day.

HSE saying for domestic properties we can remove it, but for non-domestic we can't. Bit ironic?!

4. bigjules

bigjules New Member

If you're set on removing rather than covering over, IMHO I'd have the ceiling down rather than fiddle about scraping.

Damp down the ceiling either by spray or brush in order to reduce dust and pull the boards down in lumps rather than steaming and scraping which will probably damage the board face anyway.

Re-board and there you have a nice flat surface for skimming.

Disposable masks and overalls are preferable whether there's asbestos or not as pulling ceilings down is a filthy dirty job!

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I agree, either skim over or re-board. And DO WEAR MASKS.

6. charlie30

charlie30 Member

It is a solid ceiling (ex-local authority building, about 100 years old), assumed concrete. So there are no boards to pull down.

Has anyone tried the X Tex product? It looks like a leave-in gel which softens the artex.

7. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

You could screw battens to the ceiling then board. Gives a void for pipes and cables too

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

It's worth pointing out that any debris you can't wrap up in the plastic dust sheets, or whatever you use, should be cleaned up with a damp rag or similar dust free method. <u>Not on any account</u> vacuumed up, asbestos fibres will go straight through a normal vacuum cleaner filter. It will just spread it around your house.

9. bigjules

bigjules New Member

10. bigjules

bigjules New Member

It is a solid ceiling (ex-local authority building, about 100 years old), assumed concrete. So there are no boards to pull down.

Ah - would have been handy to know first of all.......

As Hallbeck - batten and board then skim.

11. J4M35

J4M35 Member

Best thing to use is water and lots of it, turn off electrics, and cover downstairs floor etc...
    Then lift up boards from upstairs and soak the plaster board, should just collapse down to the ground.cover the floor downstairs in plastic and make sure that is also wet for the debris to fall on to to avoid any dust.

12. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Best thing to use is water and lots of it, turn off electrics, and cover downstairs floor etc...
    Then lift up boards from upstairs and soak the plaster board, should just collapse down to the ground.cover the floor downstairs in plastic and make sure that is also wet for the debris to fall on to to avoid any dust.

What plasterboard? What floorboards?

13. charlie30

charlie30 Member

Thanks for the responses everyone, should have mentioned that I do not have floor boards or ceiling boards, but I'm sure that info will be good for someone looking into doing this in their house.

Cost is a factor so re-boarding (which I can do) and skimming (which I can, so about £250 a room for a pro), is something I'm unlikely to do, but I do think it is the best solution.

I've done a small section and the results are quite good, the ceiling plaster is intact with only light scratching, which I can cover with DIY skim. I'm happy with this...

... so it just leaves the one question, is what I am doing safe?!!

14. charlie30

charlie30 Member

skimming (which I can, so about £250 a room for a pro)

should read:

skimming (which I can't, so about £250 a room for a pro)

I wish I can tho!

15. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Where abouts are you? £250 to skim a celing sounds high - unless you have very big ceilings!

16. charlie30

charlie30 Member

SE London! 250 is only a ball park figure, good to know it's a high one.

17. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

London plasterers are a law unto themselves when it comes to price. In N Yorks, when i sub plastering out, i pay £3-£4 a sq m for skimming straight onto boards.

Obviously your job is more involved with the ceiling not being bare boards and the rooms carpeted and full of furniture.

I would get some more quotes and mention the cash word!