Removing false chimney Breast

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Zoekitchen, May 21, 2017.

1. Zoekitchen

Zoekitchen New Member

Hi, newby here! We are ripping out our kitchen, ceiling down, stripped bare. We have a false chimney breast in the kitchen which we are taking out to make more room. We have removed the outside (plasterboard) and are left with the brick which forms the fireplace (which is in the living room, chimney runs through middle of the house) the flue and a metal frame. This metal frame runs straight up from the look of it. So, what we intend on doing is chopping the flue and the metal frame flush with ceiling height. Do you think we have any support issues? Any ideas on how best to do this? I will post pics!

2. Zoekitchen

Zoekitchen New Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't think that metalwork is load supporting, too flimsy.

4. Zoekitchen

Zoekitchen New Member

I agree about the metal frame. The flue is going to be chopped and I can imagine the remainder of the flue going straight up to the chimney (it's a metal box chimney) is going to be pretty weighty! It's how to support that more than anything.

5. Silly question - there isn't a brick-built chimney breast in the room above that frame, is there?!

Almost certainly whoever built that frame did so out of steel 'cos he didn't want a timber frame to be so close to that flue - they do become very hot...

6. Zoekitchen

Zoekitchen New Member

There's no brick at all, just the metal frame and the flue. It was surrounded by plasterboard. It's just the support of the remaining flue I'm concerned about.

7. See the ceiling joists closest to the flue? Perhaps you could drill through there - through mid-points centres - and right through the flue behind. Then hammer through a steel bar the same dia as the hole - say 10mm or slightly more should do.

It won't go anywhere.

If possibly, follow through with a masonry bit to make continue that hole in to the brick wall behind - now the flue definitely won't go anywhere...

Angle grinder to cut away the unwanted bit, and then you can look at adding any other support if you think it's necessary.

But, yes, don't leave it hangin'...

8. Zoekitchen

Zoekitchen New Member

Thanks for that, we were thinking around the same! Appreciate the input! We do plan on removing the flue completely as it runs through a loft conversion that was done before we bought the house ... ten years ago, but one step at a time as just ripping out the kitchen is a nightmare job in itself! I'm presuming we don't need building regs as it's not exactly structural?