Removing hardened tile mortar/adhesive from between tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by mysty_summer, Feb 8, 2015.

1. mysty_summer

mysty_summer New Member

Hi all, me and my partner are redoing our bathroom, but have made the fatal error of letting the tile adhesive/mortar set hard between the tiles before removing it. We're now struggling to get it out as well as the tile spacers, and I wondered if anyone could suggest the best way of getting it off so we can start grouting?

2. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Not an easy way, other than a Stanley knife and patience. Leave the spacers in if they are set in deep enough, and just grout over them.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

if the tiles spaces were put in flat ways, these could have been grouted over. If the layout was brick bond then just break it to make a 'T'.

If you have a large are to do, maybe look at getting a multi tool with a grout removing blade.

4. barnjules

barnjules Member

Jitender,that was what i was just thinking..a dremel or similar (multi tool). You can also use those cool little cutting discs on them,would fit nicely in the grout gap:)

5. Some lidls are selling cheap oscilating multi tools at the moment buy one of them and a grout removing blade if you dont want to spend a lot :)

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Dremels and multi tools are very different.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would go for a multi tool, with a tungsten carbide/diamond grit blade.

8. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Bloody hell........how much has oozed out of the edges that Your'll need a multi-tool

9. barnjules

barnjules Member

In the old days,the dremel look alikes were called multi tools! You mean the oscillating thingys..i stand corrected:)