Removing MCBs from a consumer unit?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Roy Bridge, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Roy Bridge

Roy Bridge New Member

I am having my home heating system replaced. My existing system is storage heating. This is being replaced by a wet radiator system.

I've turned off the MCBs at the consumer unit (there was one for each storage heater). I'd like to remove the MCBs (or at least the wiring so that I can safely remove the wall sockets).

I've never touched the insides of a consumer unit before. What would be the procedure for doing this. Obviously I need to turn off the main switch on the consumer unit, but then what?

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

The procedure would be to get a spark in, the fuse box will be on a timer so it may appear dead and then become live without any warning. If you wouldn't stick your dick in it don't stick your fingers in it.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

If you isolate main switch then you can't get lectrected! Where do you live, I'm looking for some second hand s/ heaters!

4. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Then what happens when he turns main switch back on, as he taken out all wires, has he removed everything that could be live, or will he get "lectrected" as you put it.

5. Roy Bridge

Roy Bridge New Member

I'm in Fort William. If you can collect them, you can have them!

So, I should be OK if I turn off the main switch of the consumer unit?

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Yes but obviously you would make safe afterwards. Lots of ppl get a sparks in to alter it so that sockets are fitted in place of switches and the consumer unit is made "24hr". Thanx for offer but ur a bit too far away!

7. Roy Bridge

Roy Bridge New Member

I want to remove the sockets completely.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not being rude but you do not come across as competent :eek: ....get a sparks in! ;)

seen it all before likes this.
  9. seen it all before

Sounds like you haven't got a clue. Do the right thing and get a sparky in to sort it out for.
    No one should be touching electrics even if it is in their home, especially if they seem to be like you and not have a clue about even turning of a fuse board at the mains.

10. Roy Bridge

Roy Bridge New Member

There's a difference between incompetence and never having done something before. I have the utmost respect for electrics. If it's straightforward, and I feel confident about doing the job then I'd like to have a go. If I pull the cover off and immediately feel out of my depth, then I'll call someone in.

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You'll also require 'blanks' to fill in where the mcb's were, so no prying fingers can get near the nasty stuff.

12. seen it all before

having confidence to do a job is fine, but having confidence but no knowledge what so ever is dangerous. Messing with electrics with with what little knowledge you seem to be displaying will no doubt end it tears.

13. I did think that some of the responses were a little harsh but for some of the muppets who post on here it's probably good advice. However, if you want to do it yourself the simplest way would be to turn off the main switch, disconnect the lives, neutrals and earths of the circuits you have, put them into connector strips and tape the connector strips up with insulating tape, stuff them back into the fuse box and put the cover on. It's not how I would do it but there's nothing inherently dangerous in this approach. As a matter of interest, what were you proposing to do with the disconnected ends of the heater radials? How I hate finding un-terminated cables floating about!

14. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Best plan of all would be to get the cables outside of the fuse box altogether, snipped off and done away with, no chance of being reconnected then.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A lot of the 'replies' on here are a little harsh tbph, at the end of the day it's a 'forum', which implies a range of people-novices to skilled, would take part.
    The knack is giving good, safe advice to those that seek it, if one thinks that novices and newbies are beyond help then one should give up the forums imo.

16. I'm not a fan of "snipping off" myself although I can see your point. However, if you find safely terminated cables then at least you know it was a deiberate action, hopefully, done by someone who knew what they were doing.

17. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Surely if a redundant cable is removed from the consumer unit and cut off on the grey insulation with cutters at both ends at points which you can easily get to then this is safe enough. We have just had a combi gas boiler put in and we have a redundant gas pipe under a concrete floor ,redundant water pipes boxed in and a length of 2.5 T & E the complete removal of which would entail lifting carpets and floor boards.

18. Frank W

Frank W New Member

Get a qualified sparks in, you will still have live parts in the consumer unit even if you turn off the Main Switch (unless it's a completly seperate switch).

Quite correct Rulland, but then also consider the good safe advice given and the potential skill level of the recipient.

Point being, is the recipient competent enough to act on the advice given in the manner the advisor imagines and is your professional indemnity insurance strong enough to handle it if the recipient of that advice then goes on and kills the pet cat, wife, kids or burns the house down etc due to some 'simple' home electrics that they screwed up?

19. Frank W

Frank W New Member

One would like to think so, but then what if a previous owner/diy'r made 'alterations' to the circuit where you can't see it and ended up joining it with another circuit thereby causing a backfeed onto your now open ends?

One reason why it's good idea to use a qualified spark who tests the instalation/circuit after doing the work and then issues the appropriate certification.

If redundant cables must be left in situ then at least join all the cores together (causes a direct short which then takes out the protection if it's still connected some where) and then place that into a joint box.

20. Owain

Owain Member

My old Wylex had lovely shiny exposed copper bus-bars all over the place, with unsleeved bare shiny earth wires in rather close proximity. (so my electrician told me, ahem)

Also depends on how the off-peak metering and timeswitching is arranged; there may be permanent live in the off-peak board for contactor operating; the Scottish Hydro area had some 'interesting' off-peak heating arrangements.