Removing MCBs from a consumer unit?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Roy Bridge, Aug 28, 2015.

1. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

As OP states he has never touched his consumer unit and probably never seen inside it, by people trying to give advice and lots of different conflicting advice is irresponsible especially when it's to do with electrics.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I don't think you need PI insurance to give advice on a two bit internet forum.

seneca likes this.
  3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

4. Roy Bridge

Roy Bridge New Member

I've not opened it yet, but this is it:-

[​IMG]

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your not confident, get a proper sparkie in, will be cheaper than your funeral.
    Yes, I'm harsh, ain't going to offer an apologie, amatuers & electrics are a dangerous combination.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It's a combined dual tariff CU (actually likely three supplies into that one, as your water heating is on a different tariff to your heaters). With three separate supplies inside there, even with the three main switches OFF, you are going to have three points that remain potentially live.

An electrician could safely isolate the 4 circuits for an hours call labour, leaving you to remove the other ends. I would not advise playing inside here, unless it can be isolated at the meter position (which I doubt).

sparky Si-Fi and FatHands like this.
  7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I would isolate all the cabling both ends and find the nearest point of earth in each vicinity

I think you will all find this is the correct practice

Good reply as well from Lec.