Removing mortar in stone flagging - Advice on best tool for job

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, May 25, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Hi,

Had the patio done with indian stone flagsabout 6 years back and the mortar between the flags is missing in places and there are a few loose flags and some that are broken and need replacing/cutting to shape round drain pipes and grids. I am going to need to remove any remaining mortar, so I was thinking an angle grinder might be the best thing for the job? If it is, what kind of size is the best to go for?

I already have some 18v makita gear that I can use batteries from, or 240v would be ok too or will a cheap **** one do for this?

Thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4.5" is ideal, easier to handle.

Now't wrong with Makita 18v grinder, but mains version would be cheaper.

A 240v 4.5" grinders: all have 3 year warrenty.

Makita 9557NB , can be picked up for about £40.

Also Makita GA4530/2 about £45

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Will these be up to a few cuts of sandstone flags? I was looking at the Bosch GWS 850C too, some good deals on that kicking about.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with Bosch.

I have a 5" Makita GA5021,which has a paddle handle, you don't see many of them around.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

OK thanks again!

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Diamond blade on a 9" grinder is what you need, its much easier to hold for long periods of time than a 4,5".

Run a cut through the middle of the joint and then chip out with a hammer and small chisel, this way will leave the natural edge to the paving.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I had a Bosch one previously (green version) it lasted well over 10 years, it only burned out when the heavy diamond disc was used.

For slabls will have to make cuts on either side as the blade won't cut through. Did manage like this for a number of years though. But the small one is much more useful for other thinks. You could buy the mortar rake disk which is thicker ideal for chasing out joints.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Unwieldy.

More control with the small grinder.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

DId buy a cheap 9" grinder a few years back (ARgos), but the locking nut got seized up and could undo it. Luckily they refunded me.

We have both sizes now, but the small ones gets most use and will pay back in a short space of time.

You need a diamond blade for it.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sorry, having used grinders for well over 30 years, 9" are the most stable of all.
    4.5" ok for small jobs, but very unstable and on a patio would probably burn out.
    12" just to heavy for long term use and are generally petrol powered.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nearly 35 years using grinders, & I haven't yet burnt out my 5" grinder in 10 years or so, of hard use on masonry & metal, got it to replace my Bosch 4.5" which was nicked,still working after 20 years of use.
    My 9" Makita must 25 years old & still going strong, the Hitachi 9" is only 5 years, gotit free off Freecycle.
    As for my Stihl, I sold it, just didn't have the use for it in the last few years.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

On a job years ago we had to cut some steel in the middle of nowhere and the only option was to dismantle a 14" cut off saw and use it as a hand held grinder :eek::eek::eek:

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rather you than me.:eek:

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Agreed :)