Removing old socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tore81, Oct 23, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Looking to remove an old socket.

Opens up the socket and only one cable in there so presuming it's a radial go upstairs then discover all the sockets have only one cable. (Old house)

Was this the norm back in the day? Got to the kitchen then Find a big JB supplying shed and one socket. Different circuit.

1- So at a guess is it fair to say there must be a JB somewhere in the attic maybe supplying this socket. What is the norm look in the attack maybe?

2. It says on consumer unit ring. Can this still be a ring, They have just spurred off to one socket in every room. Am I right in saying this.

Sorry to waffle, any knowledge or thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Expect the unexpected with old electrics, it can throw up some very strange puzzles with the wiring & fittings.

Worked on a old house some years ago, first & second floor were radials,a 4mm on a 15A or 20A fuse feeding two sockets, one socket on first floor with cable going straight up wall to socket directly above on second floor.Ground floor was basically a ring final on a 30A fuse, fitted with spurs down to the sockets in every room, must have been six or seven spurs, maybe a few more, can't remember exactly now.

tore81 likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Seems to be the way this is wired.

I'm guessing it's in the attic or under a floorboard.

I have found 2 JB so far one for lighting and 1 for sockets. So just need to find it hoping it's not under a floor board.

The lighting is exactly the same the main feed into a JB then. Then lights spurred off them.

Thanks kiab

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It could be a ring, how many conductors are in the MCB on that circuit? If one, then its a radial. If two, it might be a ring, but would need testing to confirm.

PS Lots of people (incorrectly) call any electrical wiring a "ring". Including domestic lighting circuits - and they are almost always radials.

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

yes Baz there is two In the MCB

So there must be a JB spurring off to these three upstairs sockets.

I'm guessing it's find the JB and disconnect to find what's what.

I will check again, but there are only one cable entering sockets upstairs so there has to be on JB.

6. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

The joys of old electrics. I found this while routing around in the loft at a job today (even though the place was apparently rewired 15 years ago). Presumably couldn't be bothered using a juction box for the lighting!

Attached Files:

TP&N and KIAB like this.
  7. Paco de Lucia

Paco de Lucia Member

Don't remove it