Removing old wall tile adhesive

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by GeorgeR, Dec 17, 2005.

1. GeorgeR

GeorgeR New Member

Is there any trick to removing old wall tile adhesive which is stuck firmly to the underlying plaster? If I chip away at it the plaster comes off in a lot of places. Should I give up and just make sure it's sound and then spread a generous layer of new adhesive over the top?

Thanks

2. handyman.

handyman. New Member

3. ­

­ New Member

Depending on the type of adhesive you are trying to remove, a wallpaper steamer can often soften old tile adhesive. It then just scrapes off with a filler knife.

4. supertrowel

supertrowel New Member

soak it with water and leave....then just scrap away

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I use this all the time for this type of thing
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid
    =LJ2SICLZRFB3OCSTHZPCFFA?id=11873&ts=36263
    and got the tip from someone on this forum!!

They did have what looked exactly the same thing in
    aldi a few months ago for £10:(

I've got the Bosch one and the cheapy aswell, both are great for adhesive removal I use them all the time.

6. notverycleverman - - by steaming it, you'll also usually blow the plaster... not a clever idea is it ;)

7. ­

­ New Member

If you know how to use a steamer you cannot blow the plaster. How do you think wallpaper is removed with one?

Just keep the steamer head moving slowly across the area.

If you hold it in one position for more than 20 seconds or so then you <u>can</u> blow the plaster, so keep it moving.

So basically, it is a vercleverideam3fitter :)

8. Notveryclever, all your ideas are just that, they work in theory... old plasterwork blows pretty easily m8... as i said in theory you're a verycleverman ;) Not worth the risk, when wetting it down or using a razor scraper is more commonly used in the real world.. get in it, you'll like it :)

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I've got the Bosch one and the cheapy aswell, both
    are great for adhesive removal I use them all the
    time.

ah, yes, i believe it may have been you bstyle who made me buy another tool;)

10. ­

­ New Member

Notveryclever, all your ideas are just that, they
    work in theory... old plasterwork blows pretty easily
    m8... as i said in theory you're a verycleverman
    ;) Not worth the risk, when wetting it down or
    using a razor scraper is more commonly used in the
    real world.. get in it, you'll like it :)

So you're right are you? Hmmmm, funny that this steamer method works for my tilers on our refurbs.

You carry on chipping and scraping, it doesn't matter to me.

11. handyman.

handyman. New Member

but i would say the electric chisel would be quicker

12. ­

­ New Member

What's the rush?

13. GeorgeR

GeorgeR New Member

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. Can anyone give me the name of the cheaper (i.e. not the Bosch) electric scraper?

14. mj

mj Guest

I often use a steamer, as i find it quicker. You don't need to over steam the walls to soften the adhesive. If some of the skimming blows with steam, then it'll probably come off with the leccy scraper anyway. It's better for any suspect skimming to come off, as this is always the weak link in any tiling.
    Steamer/scraper use which you find easiest some posters will tell you there is only one way to do the job. Different walls & adhesives will determine which method is correct for a given situation, experience will help you decide.

15. ­

­ New Member

The steamer heads my guys use are about 100mm x 75mm and not the big wallpaper type. This gives full control over where you are steaming and as mj says, you do not need to over steam the adhesive to make it soft. Just follow along behind the steamer head with a scraper and the adhesive just falls off with no damage to the plaster at all.

16. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. Can anyone
    give me the name of the cheaper (i.e. not the Bosch)
    electric scraper?

The make of the cheapy scraper is Parkside. it was bought from one of the cheap shops, I think it was Lidl.

It's unlikely that you will get one from this store now as it was a weekly special many months ago.

17. GeorgeR

GeorgeR New Member

Hi guys,
    Just to let you know I tried the wallpaper steamer and it worked fine. As long as I didn't leave it in one place for more than around 20 secs the plaster was undamaged and the adhesive softened enough to be scraped off.

18. ­

­ New Member

> Hi guys,
    Just to let you know I tried the wallpaper steamer
    and it worked fine. As long as I didn't leave it in
    one place for more than around 20 secs the plaster
    was undamaged and the adhesive softened enough to be
    scraped off.

Glad to be able to help.

<u>m3 fitter</u>, are you reading this? Try and learn something, it may not be easy for a thickneck like you but give it a try.

19. you're still a *** notveryclever, plenty of methods work...some with no risk whatsoever, were you born a condescending r-sole or did you teach yourself ;)

[Edited by: forum admin]

20. problem

problem New Member

Notveryclever, give m3 a break you nancy, steaming could blow the plaster end of so scraping the only way.

End of.

Passy.