Removing paint from metal garage door

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by GD66, Mar 8, 2014.

1. GD66

GD66 New Member

Hello,

First time poster

Can anyone help here. I am trying to remove old paint from my mother's metal garage dpoor and having no luck whatsoever.

The two products I have already tried have been

1) Tile Doctor 'remove and go'
    2) All purpose Nitromors

Attached are some pictures

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is the door powder coated under that top coat, if not then a heat gun, warm and scrape the paint off.

GD66 likes this.
  3. GD66

GD66 New Member

Thank you Phil

Tried a heat gun. Didn't make much if a difference and very little bubbling to get a good level off.

Not sure what you mean by powder coated?

Kind regards

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Certainly looks powder coated. May well be fine under the top-coat.

GD66 likes this.
  5. GD66

GD66 New Member

Thanks Malkie

Yes. The white coat underneath is fine. Just can't seem to find the right technique to get that top coat off

Kind regards

6. Phil the Paver

If you are hoping to keep the white coating, don't use a heat gun, it will damage the powder coating aswell, im sorry but I don't know what to suggest that won't damage the powder coating aswell as remove the paint.

Are you looking at repainting it??

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Excuse me if it's a silly question but if it is sound why are you bothering to remove it? Just flat in the edges and use a coat of good quality primer (Zinsser bullseye 123) and an undercoat, before the finish.

8. Hi GD66.

So... that brown paint is pretty well attached?! So why not let it stay?

Give it all a good rub down with - ooh - 180 grit 'wet or dry' paper until the surface is fully 'matted', and then use a primer recommended by the peeps on here - one of these systems that sticks to everything, such a Zinsser or summat.

Then a couple of coats of satin exterior paint - again, something recommended by the paint pros on here for durable exterior work - and applied using a mini foam roller to get a finish with the very finest texture which will look as 'pro' as the original white.

Ok, you'll need to apply the paint with a brush to 'get into the groove', but then finish off with the roller (if you want).

9. Ach - Teabreak came back from his teabreak and beat me to it... :p

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes DA great minds and all that:)

11. Phil the Paver

This is why I asked if he was going to repaint seem silly taking paint off for no good reason.