Removing scratches from a fibreglass shower tray?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by lyanne, Sep 4, 2006.

1. lyanne

lyanne New Member

any ideas please?
    our builders have installed and scratched our fibreglass shower tray. is there something we can use to polish them out? they do score the surface slightly.

thanks in advance.
    lyanne

2. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Use your builders to remove the damaged tray and install a new one.

Have you held back any money against damage/snagging?

3. lyanne

lyanne New Member

yes, that's an option. but the walls are tiled etc etc. just wondering if there's an easier solution. and yes, there is a contingency but i didn't expect to have to use it on replacing damaged goods.

4. PDPS

PDPS New Member

yes, that's an option. but the walls are tiled etc etc.

That's their problem. They may need to remove and replace the bottom row but that would usually be about all. If they need to get a tiler in to do it it should be at their expense. It's not really a major job if they're using an exact replacement.

Failing that you could give them a reasonable deadline for when you want it dealt with. If they miss the deadline get someone else in and pay them out of the contingency. If this happens make sure you have photographs of the damage before anyone else touches it, and keep the damaged tray so Trading Standards can take a look if they need to get involved.

just wondering if there's an easier solution.

You shouldn't have to be wondering what the solutions are. Whoever damaged the tray should be sorting it out for you. They broke it - they fix it. If they know of a product that'll take out the marks without compromising the warranty they should ask your permission to use it. If they don't know they should contact the manufacturers of the tray to ask their advice.

and yes, there is a contingency but i didn't expect
    to have to use it on replacing damaged goods.

Accidents and mistakes happen. If they're dealt with promptly and fairly most customers are happy. It's important that the cost of this repair comes out of the builder's pocket - not yours - as this will prompt him to be more careful in future. If I'm working above a shower tray I make sure it's well covered in case I drop a tool, tile, whatever.

5. lyanne

lyanne New Member

thanks pipe dreams. will give them a timeframe and see what happens.

6. mj

mj Guest

Taking the hardline & making the builder refit a new tray is a bit harsh without giving them the chance polish the mark out. Probably not done deliberately & we can all have accidents!
    If it's not too deep then wet & dry paper used with T-cut (car polish restorer) will usually do an acceptable job.

7. mj

mj Guest

Thick blankets, removed & hooverd regularily when working over shower trays & baths is the moral of the story :)

8. PDPS

PDPS New Member

The keys, really, are:

- how much damage there is,

- whether or not it can be polished out without leaving visible defects, and,

- whether or not it can be removed without compromising the manufacturer's/supplier's warranty.

I'm sure many hundreds of Robin Reliants left the factory with minor blemishes patched or polished out!