Render below damp course

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Nickbux, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Nickbux

Nickbux New Member

The brickwork on one side of our house, below the DPC, is very untidy. It looks like it has been rendered in the past and then hacked off for some reason. I was thinking of rendering it up again and just wondered if anyone had any advice on the mix, and avoiding the DPC, or whether anyone had some other ideas on how I could tidy this brickwork up in some way.

Thanks

Nick

2. nigel

nigel Guest

Render was probably breeching the damp course hence it's removal.

3. Acegarp

Acegarp New Member

Chop bricks out and replace?

4. ProDave

ProDave New Member

We had an old 1930's house once that had a damp problem. The render was applied at lower level as a solid, thick , smooth finish to 1 brick above dpc, where it then turned to thinner pebbledash.

The render over the years cause damp bridging, with quite severe damp in places. Just hacked off the solid, smooth part, exposing the perfectly good slate dpc and formed a bell cast drip to the bottom of the pebbledash, 1 brick above dpc. damp problem solved.

That's probably what has been done in your house.

Where I am now, new build house with roughcast render to 6" above dpc, then smooth render below to ground level. Yes you guessed it's bridging the dpc. I questioned it at the time with the builder, but that's what they do up here. It probably is storing up trouble for the future. The only difference is the new house is cavity wall (the old was was solid 9" wall) so I guess any damp bridging will go undetected longer.

In your case perhaps if you finished the "upper" render with a bell cast exactly in line with the dpc, then rendered below seperately, there would be a tiny gap which might be enough to stop damp bridging?

5. deacon

deacon New Member

We had an old 1930's house once that had a damp
    problem. The render was applied at lower level as a
    solid, thick , smooth finish to 1 brick above dpc,
    where it then turned to thinner pebbledash.

The render over the years cause damp bridging, with
    quite severe damp in places. Just hacked off the
    solid, smooth part, exposing the perfectly good slate
    dpc and formed a bell cast drip to the bottom of the
    pebbledash, 1 brick above dpc. damp problem solved.

Where I am now, new build house with roughcast render
    to 6" above dpc, then smooth render below to ground
    level. Yes you guessed it's bridging the dpc. I
    questioned it at the time with the builder, but
    that's what they do up here. It probably is storing
    up trouble for the future. The only difference is the
    new house is cavity wall (the old was was solid 9"
    wall) so I guess any damp bridging will go undetected
    longer.

In your case perhaps if you finished the "upper"
    render with a bell cast exactly in line with the dpc,
    then rendered below seperately, there would be a tiny
    gap which might be enough to stop damp bridging?

This will cause a debate ,so the 1930s house had a damp problem and the wall was a solid 9in , you obviously feel if a wall is rendered it will keep out the water , it wont ,remove the render problem solved , probably just lucky , if the wall was 9in then the whole wall would have been damp .Now the bridging on a cavity wall, surely if its a cavity wall it wont affect the inside wall so render down as far as you like , I have seen builders who hang the dpc out 10mm to allow for render to stop them bridging the damp , it looked awful and not required ,this debate came up last week to cut out a slot for shingle and I stated then thats not a problem if its a cavity wall .The render is the same if the cavity is clear then how does the damp travel across, we will debate this later and hopefully reach a good conclusion , please dont quote building regs as this is an easy way out , good luck

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

We had an old 1930's house once that had a damp
    problem. The render was applied at lower level as
    a
    solid, thick , smooth finish to 1 brick above dpc,
    where it then turned to thinner pebbledash.

The render over the years cause damp bridging,
    with
    quite severe damp in places. Just hacked off the
    solid, smooth part, exposing the perfectly good
    slate
    dpc and formed a bell cast drip to the bottom of
    the
    pebbledash, 1 brick above dpc. damp problem
    solved.

Where I am now, new build house with roughcast
    render
    to 6" above dpc, then smooth render below to
    ground
    level. Yes you guessed it's bridging the dpc. I
    questioned it at the time with the builder, but
    that's what they do up here. It probably is
    storing
    up trouble for the future. The only difference is
    the
    new house is cavity wall (the old was was solid 9"
    wall) so I guess any damp bridging will go
    undetected
    longer.

In your case perhaps if you finished the "upper"
    render with a bell cast exactly in line with the
    dpc,
    then rendered below seperately, there would be a
    tiny
    gap which might be enough to stop damp bridging?

This will cause a debate ,so the 1930s house had a
    damp problem and the wall was a solid 9in , you
    obviously feel if a wall is rendered it will keep out
    the water , it wont ,remove the render problem solved
    , probably just lucky , if the wall was 9in then the
    whole wall would have been damp .Now the bridging on
    a cavity wall, surely if its a cavity wall it wont
    affect the inside wall so render down as far as you
    like , I have seen builders who hang the dpc out 10mm
    to allow for render to stop them bridging the damp ,
    it looked awful and not required ,this debate came up
    last week to cut out a slot for shingle and I stated
    then thats not a problem if its a cavity wall .The
    render is the same if the cavity is clear then how
    does the damp travel across, we will debate this
    later and hopefully reach a good conclusion , please
    dont quote building regs as this is an easy way out ,
    good luck

So putting in a dpc in the outer leaf on a house with cavity, although having been done for many many years, is a totally pointless excercise, including damp-roof injecting, and including renewing dpc at any time whatsoever ? So it serves NO purpose ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

Agree that this would be a pointless task, would have thought at least covering the DPC would be "Bad" practice. I cant see what good it would do to allow damp to travel up the wall regardless of whether its actually going to breach the internal walls. I have rendered walls where the ground was allowed to get to much height by previous owners and the render on the lower part of the wall is not in as good a condition as the areas where there has been no breach.
    Personally I wouldn't cover the DPC.
    AW

8. yan1

yan1 New Member

I would say that a solid 9" wall can have many different types dpc i.e bitumen, slate injected etc, but if they fail in any way, then damp will more than likely be caused by this failure. So rendering over the dpc may not cause any problem of its own whatsoever. But it might. So is it worth taking the chance, ABSOLUTELY NOT! Bell drip bead at least 1 course above dpc then bitumen paint on the remaining brickwork down to ground level.

Cavity walls, if the brickie has done a decent job their wont be any bridging in the cavity to cause any dampness by cappillary action , so yes, it would in theory be no problem to bridge the dpc with render. I guess that with the chance of the cavity being bridged and history of dampness problems causing a lot of hassle, it is still frowned upon to do it.
    ???

9. deacon

deacon New Member

So putting in a dpc in the outer leaf on a house with
    cavity, although having been done for many many
    years, is a totally pointless exercise, including
    damp-roof injecting, and including renewing dpc at
    any time whatsoever ? So it serves NO purpose ?

Thats a good point andy, what purpose does it have , yes it stops the damp rising from below ground , but if its an outside wall does it matter , lets say you didn't put one in , what damage would it do , the outside wall would be damp any way , why put one in a garage when its single skin , the wall will be damp any .If you used engineering bricks below dpc they will not soak the moisture even to reach the damp , so render below dpc , look around and you will see

10. deacon

deacon New Member

Cavity walls, if the brickie has done a decent job
    their wont be any bridging in the cavity to cause any
    dampness by capillary action , so yes, it would in
    theory be no problem to bridge the dpc with render. I
    guess that with the chance of the cavity being
    bridged and history of dampness problems causing a
    lot of hassle, it is still frowned upon to do it.
    These days with brickies they shouldn't block the cavity at ground level , with celotex fixed to the inside theres a good chance , full fill is a better option as when the facework is built and cleaned off the insulation is placed and the blocks are laid against it , a good brickie will leave no mortar to cause any breach

11. yan1

yan1 New Member

Absolutely agree Deacon but as we all know, there are a lot of sloppy workmen out there trying to lay as many 1000's as possible not giving a **** about what will happen in a few years time due them bodging it and scarpering. I know you said not to mention it, but are there actual regulations concerning reendering bridging the dpc? Serious question because i've not come across rendering any new builds personally so don't know.

12. > other ideas on how I could tidy this brickwork up in
    some way.

do like someone's already suggested...remove all old bricks (one at a time...;)) and replace with engineering bricks (the glazed type)

13. deacon

deacon New Member

Absolutely agree Deacon but as we all know, there are
    a lot of sloppy workmen out there trying to lay as
    many 1000's as possible not giving a **** about what
    will happen in a few years time due them bodging it
    and scarpering. I know you said not to mention it,
    but are there actual regulations concerning
    reendering bridging the dpc? Serious question because
    i've not come across rendering any new builds
    personally so don't know.

Don't mention the dreaded regs,we are in the process of building a bungalow were the render is from ground level to dpc level on top of the dpc facework begins , it overhangs the blockwork 20mm to accommodate the rendering , the height of the render is 450mm ,why is this , its to lift the bungalow above the flooding area,so render does start below dpc , its not my idea so if the are regs to avoid this why have we just done it

14. yan1

yan1 New Member

Sounds like one hell of a long way round, must be regs or a stoned architect??!!

15. deacon

deacon New Member

do like someone's already suggested...remove all old
    bricks (one at a time...;)) and replace with
    engineering bricks (the glazed type)

Lets say that all the bricks below dpc are affected are we to remove them all, no ,it was probably rendered and maybe some has fell off , someone decided to remove all ,his options are very limited removing the defective bricks I feel is not one them

16. deacon

deacon New Member

Sounds like one hell of a long way round, must be
    regs or a stoned architect??!!

It went through and we just do as we are told , regs , don't mention them

17. yan1

yan1 New Member

clean off old mortar best you can and slap on the bitumen, its surprising what the black stuff will hide! Easy way out I know, but I think the finish of replacing one bick at a time will end up about as good as it is now.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well, I'll tell you deacon, why there is a dpc, and why you should not render over, down to floor level.

It is because bricks(normal house bricks) are not designed to be permanently wet, and the dpc prevents this.

Rain on the bricks(it is said) will never keep the bricks wet, because of the in-between spells of dry weather, where the bricks will dry out.

In the absence of a dpc, the bricks may soak up ground moisture, and continue forever to soak moisture up. This moisture will carry on rising and increasing, reaching anything that is attached to the outer skin, like wall ties, window sills etc

Likewise, the render will do the same, so forever soak water into the bricks.

They will never dry out fully.

With the dpc intact, and nothing bridging it vertically, the bricks will dry out, which is the whole point of the design.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

19. deacon

deacon New Member

Well, I'll tell you deacon, why there is a dpc, and
    why you should not render over, down to floor level.
    It is because bricks(normal house bricks) are not
    designed to be permanently wet, and the dpc prevents
    this.
    Rain on the bricks(it is said) will never keep the
    bricks wet, because of the in-between spells of dry
    weather, where the bricks will dry out.
    In the absence of a dpc, the bricks may soak up
    ground moisture, and continue forever to soak
    moisture up. This moisture will carry on rising and
    increasing, reaching anything that is attached to the
    outer skin, like wall ties, window sills etc
    Likewise, the render will do the same, so forever
    soak water into the bricks.
    They will never dry out fully.
    With the dpc intact, and nothing bridging it
    vertically, the bricks will dry out, which is the
    whole point of the design.
    Mr. HandyAndy - really

Whilst everything you say is correct , or so it seems ,what about my problem , my bungalow is rendered from dp.c level down to the ground , facework above dpc explain that .Now render over the dpc .so damp travels up from the ground through the render , over the dpc and in above the dpc , it then travel across the cavity and in to the house , no ,and what about the 1000s of house now that are rendered below dpc and is there , I didnt want to mention , building regs to confirm you dont bridge the dpc with render , explain this

20. Acegarp

Acegarp New Member

Well you can take out a few bricks at a time, relay some semi or full engineering bricks to existing levels. Do in sections. Bitcho always looks good tho.