Render question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gary hunt, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

I have rendered walls in my bathroom and want to glue the acrylic panels directly to them what would be the best primer to use?

Many thanks

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

pig poo

3. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

Big poo ???

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Lovely jubbly

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Tile primer is prob best. You want something that'll soak in and dry and not remain tacky. Use Blobs of Stixall or similar adhesive and brace the panels with some cls or similar to an opposite wall and leave overnight to dry.

6. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

Thankyoufor your help

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No probs. Btw, the last panels I fitted wernt perfectly square. Luckily I clocked this before cutting them to height.

Gary hunt likes this.
  8. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

Reading your earlier comment can I put the acyclic panels directly to the stud wall WITHOUT putting a plasterboard on first

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I personally wouldn't do that (never had too) but not saying that you couldn't. I'd be concerned about the overall ridigity and the possibility of puncturing the panels...depending on their construction and quality. You could always use ply behind.

What exactly is you're trying to achieve?

10. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

I'm redoing my bathroom from a bath to a shower.
    on all the walls they are floor to ceiling in tiles I've taken the tiles off and all the plaster came off with it.....3 walls are breeze block with render on it the 4th is stud wall. ..
    My plan (well wife's plan lol) is to put the acyclic panels up in stead of re tiling would like to do it as cheap as possible but obviously safe and secure as possible got to last

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Fair enough. I would definitely put some PB or ply on the stud wall though. Will make that wall more sturdy and will also improve sound proofing.

FatHands and Gary hunt like this.
  12. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

Thanks sounds like a plan might go for pb ply looks like it is more expensive

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

8x4 sheet at most is £6 so pretty cheap given your investment in the acrylic panels.

14. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

£6 for ply or pb and where from?

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

PB. Ok £6.35 at Wickes. Forgetting I get trade prices, so when I'm doing a quick 'back of cig packer quote, PB is £6 a sheet :)

Gary hunt likes this.
  16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Showers can be tough. Any flex and the shower/wall joint can leak. Any cracks in the wall covering and water will find its way in. Plasterboard in showers is dodgy as any leak and it goes to mush.

The best way is to line the shower with waterproof tilebacker, hardie board or similar fixed to the wall with dabs/stixall with additional mechanical fixings and screwed to studs in place of plasterboard. Put a very rigid base down, if you are not already on concrete, then use tanking kit to seal all the joints. Now it will last - tiles, aquapanel or whatever. If you intend to stay in the house, it's well worth the little extra to do the job properly. I'm DIY, but have had to repair/replace several shower walls where tiles were on plasterboard and/or joints had failed.

My own way of doing the tray fitting (which other people may disagree with, but mine has worked reliably for me several times), is to use silicon to stick the sides of the tray to the backing board, then use homelux profile http://www.wickes.co.uk/Homelux-Bath-Seal-Pro-White/p/141193 over a good bead of silicon round the wall/tray joint, sit the wall covering on the profile with more silicon along the bottom edge behind, and it doesn't leak and has the advantage that there is no silicon bead showing inside to go black - I hate silicon and find it much easier to keep profile clean in the shower. Done this several times now with good results. The points to watch are the mitre in the profile and the ends. It is possible for water to run along the top of the profile behind the wall covering and out the end if this isn't sealed with care.

Gary hunt likes this.
  17. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

This is the first time doing a bathroom

I'm not going to use tiles on the wall I'm going to be using the acrylic sheet panels
    So I'm hoping it won't leek lol.... fully understand I must watch the mitre joints and the joints where you conect the panels together.....
    With The shower tray I need to put a cement base down acording to the directions

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

When setting the tray onto a cement base, what is under the cement is important - it musn't flex or the tray will still flex. It isn't unusual under a bath for a timber/chipboard floor not to be in good solid condition. If in doubt, add extra reinforcing because any flex in the tray support will cause problems with the tray/wall joint.

Sheets, or tiles - the joints to take particular care with are the corner joint in the walls and the wall/tray joint particularly at the internal corners and the ends of the tray.

19. Gary hunt

Gary hunt New Member

I'm taking part of the wood flooring out where the tray sits then going to put extra noggins between the joists then put 9mm plywood down then 8mm roughly of cement mix then the tray.....

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The thin layer of cement won't provide any strength against flex, and 9mm ply is quite thin, so will need very well supporting by the joists/noggins. I'd use 18mm or even 25mm if you can. Also, sounds like you are going for a low level tray with the drain between the joists. I expect the bath drain may well start above the floor, so can you still get a good fall on the pipe? A good shower needs a good drain. A long run with little fall is not good, in which case consider raising the tray. Of course, this may not be a problem in your situation - just trying to help you avoid some of the pitfalls if this is a first bathroom.