Renovating of the stairscase

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Yuey, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Yuey

Yuey New Member

Hello people.

Would appreciate if you can help with some advice.

Currently undergoing work around the house and the Mrs would like to change the handrail spindles and baserail. To cut long story short the newel posts are on 690mm x 690 mm and the handrails we've been looking at are about the same width.

Can you please recommend a solution I'm struggling to get a joiner all booked up till after Sept most I've seen and looking to complete before the little girl arrives.

Would be highly appreciated on any advice that can be given and also if it can include safety/legal regs

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Any photos to describe your situation a bit better?

3. Yuey

Yuey New Member

I've tried to upload a pic but it says it's too large for the server to process. Will keep trying

4. Yuey

Yuey New Member

This is the Newel post at the bottom of the stairs.

My inexperience side is telling me that it needs to be cut by the bottom rail, fit a new (bigger) newel post which has a dowel.

However I feel this may not be safe?

Attached Files:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

2Mb or smaller

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

So without sounding dull, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Complete replacement of balustrade, are you looking to replace newels too, is that your issue?

7. Yuey

Yuey New Member

Yes as the current handrail and spindles look outdated.

I would love to change the newel posts too but seeing as they are embedded into the joist I don't know if this would be possible without spending a fortune.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What are you going for, painted or wood finish?

9. Yuey

Yuey New Member

Painted.

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If they're to be painted then keep the newels, it's major upheaval to try to change them as they're an integral part of your stairs. In your position I would remove the handrail, baserail and spindles, get a sharp paint scraper on the newels to peel back the layers (to fill any dents and repaint later), then use a router and machine a stopped chamfer on your existing newel to give a bit of detail,and fit a hardwood handrail such as ash or oak to make a feature, then complete with standard painted baserail and spindles. It won't cost you a fortune, and it'll transform your staircase.

11. Yuey

Yuey New Member

Hi,

My issue is that the current Newel post is the same width as new hand rails. The handrails I have seen are 690mm. Can I fit a handrail to a newel post if they are the same width.

Shouldn't the newel post be wider than the handrail?

I know it sounds straight forward but I'm a novice.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

69mm you mean, that's why I couldn't grasp your situation at first :confused: yes you can fit them, although they don't look as good as a wider newel. You could cut your existing newel off 8 inches above the string, drill a hole down through the centre and insert a large dowel, then fit a new wider newel on top of that. Clad the base of the remainder newel with mdf to build it out to same thickness of new newel, as it's painted it'll blend in fine.

13. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If you're going to clad the bottom bit why not just clad it all?

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Because he could have different turned styles of newel for the top section, Victorian, Edwardian, Georgian etc, if you clad the whole post you'd be limited to a stopped chamfer profile.