Reopening wall cracks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Stuart Barlow, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Stuart Barlow

Stuart Barlow New Member

Sorry but I have a question that's probably been posted a few times but no one seems to have quite the same issue I have.

I bought a house last year and had a full structural survey done. The survey came back and said there is no structural movement of any kind. I had this done as there were a few small cracks here and there but nothing of any great concern. All has been fine until this spell of cold weather. Cracks have opened all round the ceilings of the lower and upper floors. On ceilings with coving the cracks are just under the coving and run all around the ceiling. on walls without coving the cracks are right up where the wall meets the ceiling. Most are hairline but some are larger. I have also noticed that most of the joins where one stud wall meets another have hairline cracks there too. My surveyor said he noticed the cracks there when he surveyed the property and they weren't of any concern to him so it would seem I just need to get rid of the things. I have fully decorated one room but it would seem all my efforts have been undone by the cracks reappearing where I filled them. I put the mess tape over one crack that ran from the upper corner of one window to the corner of the wall. I gauged the crack out first too before applying the tape and then filled it sanded and painted. That was about 6 months ago and that crack has just started to faintly reappear now, which is very disappointing.

I have contacted the original surveyor and he says the following
    " There are several possible factors which could cause this including the various building materials which move at different rates when temperatures or humidity changes, the quality of materials, the quality of workmanship and similar things. We do know that the gable straps or ties are missing so that might be an indicator of the quality of concealed work elsewhere.

I would suggest the use of covings at the wall / ceiling junctions and the use of flexible filler.

By the way, if you refer to "wall ties", people will think you are referring to the ties in the wall cavities so I suggest that you either mention "roof to wall ties" or "roof gable straps"."

Please could anyone suggest what I should do. I have tried to contact several builders off of CheckAtrade to come and look but to date no one seems interested in doing so.

Thanks. (please see the images below. IMAG0182.jpg IMAG0177.jpg

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The surveyors advice is correct these are just normal minor cracks and nothing to worry about, I would do as he suggested and put plaster cove up as this will do the trick.

3. woods100

woods100 Member

have your heating arrangements changed - I fitted a wood burning stove a few years back and noticed similar in the room and chimney plastered walls.

4. Stuart Barlow

Stuart Barlow New Member

Thank you. I have only recently moved into the area so hearing that others think the surveyor is correct puts my mind at ease.

5. Stuart Barlow

Stuart Barlow New Member

I haven't changed anything as I have only had the house since July 2014, however there is a wood burning stove in the house but the room that is in is the least affected. My parents were visiting over Christmas and we did have it live a furnace in the room as that's how they like it.