repainting timber windows

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jack10101, Jan 9, 2015.

1. jack10101

jack10101 Member

Hi, im wondering what is the best or amongst the best paints to use for repainting factory finished timber windows?
    the factory finish is very smooth and looks almost as if the windows are plastic. the paint is in good condition but i dont want to wait for it to crack or peel before i repaint.

what preparation should be done?

they are sash windows, should the individual top & bottom sashes be removed to paint inside the "runner" properly?

how to prevent this making the windows "tight" to open/close?

thanks

2. jack10101

jack10101 Member

any painters that can advise?
    thanks

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Were the window frames factory primed?

4. jack10101

jack10101 Member

factory primed and painted

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Dulux Weathershield Trade, paint in situ, light rub down. Not in that order.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are you changing the original colour of the windows?

If so apply 2 coats as above.

7. jack10101

jack10101 Member

not changing the colour.

8. jack10101

jack10101 Member

how to paint the inaccessible areas?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Dont.

10. jack10101

jack10101 Member

should i paint (or have painted) the visible areas where the sash slides up and down?

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you're having this painted by a tradesman just leave him to it, it's very simple and common.

12. jack10101

jack10101 Member

thats not possible. its not my way. i do employ trades people to certain work - but i never just "leave someone to it" better to learn something along the way

13. jack10101

jack10101 Member

thanks for the advice, appreciated

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So you just ask random people on a web site rather than trust the tradesman you have employed?

15. jack10101

jack10101 Member

No I gain as much info as possible and then discuss it with other people. With explanations and discussions the correct way forward is found. And along the way I learn something for future.

16. jack10101

jack10101 Member

If every tradesman was equal and knew everything then there would be no need for Internet discussion forums.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Find a painter you trust and use him, how do you know I'm not talking bull ****?

18. jack10101

jack10101 Member

Because I'm not taking your advice and starting painting tomorrow and secondly I've used deluxe weathershield before and know it's good stuff.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So why did you ask?

20. jack10101

jack10101 Member

You don't seem to understand my post about seeking many sources of advice and choosing the best options.