repair pierced pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rizo, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Rizo

Rizo Member

Hi guys

call me what you want - I deserve it a little

I was laying new floorboards and as I was screwing them down I managed to put one nail through a 22mm radiator pipe. I only pierced the top of the pipe as the nail didn't go right through the pipe. I have managed to repair it by cutting the pipe and putting a push fit on. I thought about replacing the pipe but it is in a very awkward place between the joists and in the middle of other pipes. This would only have created more problems for me.

First I tried to repair it by melting solder onto the hole and covering it but this didnt work. Water was able to escape through the air holes.

Now i'm wondering if you pro's have any tips if I face a similar problem in the future.

So in summary - How do you repair a nail hole in a pipe without replacing/cutting the pipe?

thanks

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

'air holes'??? how many air holes in a nail hole?

< but it is in a very awkward place between the joists and in the middle of other pipes. This would only have created more problems for me.>

so how did you get a pushfit fitting in then, they're bulky as a blind cobblers thumb ?

but to answer your question, there is no way to fix the hole, its either cut out and coupling or a new lenght of pipe, ;)

FatHands likes this.
  3. Rizo

Rizo Member

by air holes I meant air gaps left behind from the solder plug.
    Also how would you go about cutting the pipe where a pipe cutter cannot get in?

thanks for the answer.

4. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Interesting, A nail hole from a screw! I've heard the song a hole in my bucket! Tom might even sing it for you.

5. Cheburashka

Hmm, How did YOU cut the pipe?

6. Rizo

Rizo Member

Well yo get the point, nail hole/ screw hole - the point is the same. There is a hole.

And I will let you into my trade secret :)))))
    I cut the pipe by first sawing off the top as much as I could. Then I used a sharp spatula to cut it - trying not to damage the pipe end beyond use.

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Perhaps you could put jointing paste on the screws next time you are screwing down floorboards, just in case;)

Like Tom says the only way to be sure is to cut out the section, a pipeslice will get in most places failing all else a hacksaw blade held in a padsaw handle or wrapped in tape to give a grip will do it. The old plumbers used to repair holes in lead pipe by screwing in a brass screw and soldering over the top with tinmans solder or plumbers metal:)
    You will never manage to solder a pipe that has any water at all left in it near the working position, you just cannot get enough heat on it, a push fit is ok as you used, but a compression fitting is better IMO but you may need to gouge out the board above to get clearance.

8. Cheburashka

I'd have just cut the pipe and soldered a coupling in. Pushfits are fantastic things but, I don't like the fact they are only as good as that 'O' ring and they do fail with age. Soldered joints will last several decades.

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I always carry a selection of jubilee clips and some rubber sheet, in the event of hitting somat that has wet stuff in it, rubber 'plaster' over the hole and clip to make a temporary repair even in the tightest of places, worked a couple of times now, you'd be surprised how much wet stuff can escape in a short period of 'what can I do to sort this' thinking time lol.

10. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

10mm long self-tapping stainless steel screw with rubber washer.

Not much different than self-cutting washing machine adapters.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

chippie244 likes this.
  12. bradley burkert

bradley burkert New Member

Hi guys you can now repair a burst or damaged copper pipe permanently with the new product click fix its brilliant check it out www.Click-fix.co or www.burkertis.com

13. bradley burkert

Try using click fix the new permanent copper pipe repair clip www.burkertis.com or www.Click-fix.co

14. Stuart Pickett

Stuart Pickett New Member

Sorry to do this my mate, but your statement isn't correct. Fixing holes in pipes has been made very simple and doesn't require cutting the pipe or fitting a coupling anymore. There is a new fixing in town and it's called "click fix". Check it out !

Attached Files:

bradley burkert likes this.
  15. Stuart, meet Bradley. Bradley, Stuart.

You guys ever met? Oh, you have... :rolleyes:

Clever idea, to be sure, and I can imagine many plumbers keeping a few of these in their kit bag - for use when cutting-out-and-fitting-a-coupler chust can't be done. Because I suspect the latter will always be the preferred choice.

First, it really should be renamed "Click & Solder Fix", and secondly what if a big nail made the hole - and also caused the pipe circumference to deform slightly? I'd have thought that a solder-joint relies on a minimum gap all around. What if this gap is exceeded slightly?

16. Stuart Pickett

Stuart Pickett New Member

The product has been tried and tested to a very high standard it as also been to the technical team at peglar Yorkshire and the said it was technically excellent, click fix will save any fitter time and money and also a lot of head ache, also the clip works perfectly if the pipe is slightly deformed the clip solders just fine you would have to see it to understand how it works, thank you for your reply.

17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Neat idea but in most cases you have to cut the pipe to drain out a small amount of water lying in the pipe to get a reliable solder joint.

18. Cool. I'm sure it'll become a standard addition to most plumbing tool boxes.

19. bradley burkert

buddy it still works just as long as you drain the pipe the small amount does not affect the capillary reaction because the clip does not come in contact with water it fixes to the outside of the pipe.
    Cheers for your kind words tho.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  20. meady

meady Member

No one said the clip comes into contact with the water, the fact that there is still water inside of the pipe you are trying to solder won't allow it to heat up enough and solder the clip in place.