Repairing Acrylic Satinwood Finish - Help

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Nigel Heather, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather Member

This summer I had a garage conversion done. Although I have not had much luck with acrylics before I decided to move with the times and use acrylic satinwood on the interior wood.

I used Armstead Trade purchased from screwfix.

What I liked:-

Applied well
    Great bright white
    Easy to clean brushes

What I didn't like:-

Finish is more matt than satin
    Marks easily

But it was on and looked okay.

Until today that is.

I had left something on the window sill for a few weeks and moved it this morning. Shocked to find the paint finish was indented with the item and a chunk of paint pulled off.

Should add that the paint was applied exactly as directed, and had been left to dry for several months before anything was put on it.

So now I have a hole in the paint, and the paint layer is rubbery/plastically so I don't think it is going to be easy to fill or feather. Nor do I think it will be easy to sand the whole sill.

How do I fix this. Would appreciate some recommendations. Last resort will be heatgun but I don't want to damage the surrounding decour on the walls.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Nigel

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I do not know why the paint has not fully cured, did you stir it well prior to application, as regard repair, use wet and dry abrasive paper to key the surface then fill the damaged area with a two part filler and sand to a flat surface once cured, apply a primer such as Zinsser Bullseye 123 over the repaired area and finish with two coats of a better paint such as Dulux Satinwood Diamond which is also a water based product.

Satin dry's towards a matt if you want a sheen an Eggshell finish will do the job.

3. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather Member

Many thanks,

Wish I'd known about the difference between satin and eggshell. I did try asking at Screwfix, Brewers and Homebase but the answers I received were that they are the same thing - different makers use different terms.

But it is Satinwood now and I not prepared to repaint everything so will stick with it.

I've just tried a quick sand and you're right it cut back nicely - I thought it would keep rubbibg into balls and peeling back the hole even bigger.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather Member

Another thought before I commit to paint on brush.

If something has gone wrong with the Armstead paint - too soft and not adhering well, would applying good quality primer and paunt over the top be a waste of time.

Thinking that the overall resilience will only be as good as the weakest layer.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

use the Armstead paint you already have as an undercoat, maybe you had applied the original coating too thick so that the top skinned over creating a barrier remember two thin coats are better in some cases better than one thick coat.