Repairing Crabon Fibre.

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, May 6, 2016.

1. I've been asked if I know how to repair a crack in Carbon Fibre (it's a canoe or kayak or summat...)

I don't.

The owner has tried fibre-glassing over the split, but it just peels off. He's tried epoxy but ditto.

I haven't see the material myself, but he confirms he's 'keyed' the surface to no avail.

He also says that the top surface (a bit like a gel coat) is unusual - it's kinda 'soft' and a pressed fingernail can leave an imprint in it. Weird, but I suspect that it's this surface which is rejecting the attempts at repair.

It's a very thin bodyshell, apparently - like a racing kayak - so he's reluctant to start grinding away at the surface too much.

I'd have thought 'fibre-glassing' myself, but he maintains he's tried that and it won't stick

So I gave him the remains of a tube of StixAll to try (!) just to see if that adheres. If it does, then perhaps carbon-fibre matting (or fibreglass weave) applied to thin coats of StixAll might do - build up a few layers?

Thoughts?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  3. Tee-hee - fab :). Thank you KIAB.

I suspect the reason the other things didn't adhere is 'cos it has a funny coating on it. He was saying that as he tried to abrade this coating, fractures were appearing around the split, so he didn't want to go any further.

But, really, as you say, there's only one way to fix this. Well, two ways - DIY with the proper kit, or pro (that'll cost...)

Cheers.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. That does look good indeed. I'll pass all that on.

Ta very muchly :)

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Gaffa tape is a good temporary repair for canoes whilst out an about :)

8. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

On an episode of Mythbusters dedicated to gaffa tape they made a small boat complete with sail and rudder out of the stuff.

CGN likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Brilliant Mythbusters, shame it ended, think they did 2 episodes, they made a bridge, canon,canoe,even lifed a car using duct tape.

And don't forget the trebuchet held together with duct tape.

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/duct-tape-trebuchet/

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  10. Mr. Handyandy

If it fills and sticks, it fills and sticks.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Tis a shame indeed. Not much left on the docu channels nowerdays worth watching its all gone reality based rollicks.
    Yanks fist pumping and whooping, cringe.:-S

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

re showing some of the older Mythbusters on travel channel soon.

13. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

My oldest son who's 8 loves it.
    He's starting to get interested in science thanks to Mythbusters, always asking questions about this and that which is great and having Kari hosting some parts makes it easier watching repeat's.

14. SteamyTea

SteamyTea New Member

Carbon fibre composite is hard to repair because of the nature of the epoxy resins used. They generally fully cross link, this leaves 'no free ends' to stick to. Polyester resin is generally only semi cross linked (though you can get close) and the styrene in the liquid polymer can sometimes help to etch into the cured polymer.
    You could try heating the damaged area and then applying a liquid epoxy as an initial coat (similar to a gel coat) then reinforce with mat/weave and more epoxy before the first coat has cured. I have never tried this, but I know that most epoxies soften when heated, so this may allow a better key.
    Best not to use polyester resins on epoxy as the free styrene can weaken the matrix.

15. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

I spent best part of 7 years repairing carbon, I'm no expert but CF composites are repairable. I used car bodyshop filler(2 pack type), epoxy resins and others used araldite.

Regards the kayak give it a good wipe with a solvent wipe for a start,or even something like autoglym car wash to make sure its clean.

A lot of myths regards carbon, its strong and lightweight but it can damage easy.
    Aren't kayaks more fibreglass than CF?

16. Mr. Handyandy

I'm sure my mum used to say, "You can't have your kayak and heat it!"

Mr. HandyAndy - Really