Replace bathroom extract fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by enrie, Apr 27, 2017.

1. enrie

enrie New Member

I want to replace my Wickes bathroom extract fan with a new Wickes extract fan. I don't want to change the existing wiring in any way just disconnect from the old fan and re-connect to the new fan. The old fan is served by two cables, one has red, blue and yellow wires. The red wire is connected to the top terminal, the blue to the middle terminal and the yellow to the bottom terminal. The second cable has two wires, brown and blue. The brown is connected to the top terminal and the blue is connected to the middle terminal.
    However the new extract fan has also three terminals,labelled top L1, middle N and the bottom L. So should the red be now connected to L1 plus the brown or should these be connected to the bottom terminal L?
    I would be grateful for advice.
    I wanted to add photos but I couldn't see a paperclip icon for attachments

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Need pics to be sure

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Guess you need to work out which is constant live. Switch wire live. Neutral. Pictures needed. Please don't get shocked.

4. enrie

enrie New Member

1493229725734.jpg 1493229725734.jpg Thanks for help please see attached pics

Attached Files:

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

In existing fan picture, is that a yellow switch wire, blue and black neutral in the centre. Brown constant live at the top? The yellow wire looks like it's got a bit of green in picture? That's earth colours which ain't right..

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Looks like wiring for fan is also supplying something else maybe light, yellow is switch wire brown is permanent live blue is neutral

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

L1 on new fan needs the yellow from light switch.Brown is constant live so will keep fan going on the timer when yellow gets switched off. Black and blue is neutral. You need to check what I have said is correct. Seek a professional if you can't work it out. Always play safe.

8. enrie

enrie New Member

Thank you very much for further help. A few answers to points raised, the yellow wire which has green on it is the earth wire which is not connected and has been turned away, there is only one yellow wire and this, I think as said, is from the light switch, the fan is operated from the light switch in conjunction with the light. From your answers I plan to connect the yellow switch wire to L1 and so the red and brown together as before to L and as before the two blue wires to the N terminal.
    Does this make sense?

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes

10. enrie

enrie New Member

Hi Wayners, many thanks for all your help which I much appreciate. I installed the new fan a couple of days and it whizzes round nicely. It's great to get such help from the Screwfix forum.
    enrie