replace electric shower

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by thumper, May 17, 2016.

1. thumper

thumper New Member

does my isolator switch power electric shower ?and how would I know what is faulty ie shower or isolator ? my friend has completed test on isolator switch as when on circuit tester proves positive to shower unit.

Yet I have purchased a new electric shower to which my plumber has fitted yet water is not heating up through element. My plumber has inferred that I have purchased damaged shower any advice?

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

What has your friend tested the switch with? if it's just a neon screwdriver or voltstick then you may have live but no neutral,you need proper test gear and someone who knows what they are doing with it.

3. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Some showers allow water to flow without power, other showers need power to allow water to flow. No way of knowing if your shower allows water to flow with or without power.

9 out of 10 times it is the pull-cord isolation switch gone faulty but you will need test with a multimeter capable of testing 250v AC to test if the line and neutral have power.