Replace glass table top?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Haz, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Haz

Haz New Member

Hi
    I want to change the glass top on my dining table, and I need 6 screw fittings (possibly standoff brackets?) to attach the new top to the table frame.
    The screws on the present top are tightly glued into the glass and not able to be removed.
    I have hunted online but I can't find anything suitable, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Have you found the new glass top? Does it have matching holes in it?

Provided the contact points are nicely spaced out towards the table top's corners, usually the weight of the glass top is enough to keep it in place - little rubber suction cups stop it sliding about.

Any chance of a photo?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not always 100% secure,have experience of that, much better to have proper fixings.

4. Haz

Haz New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have sourced a new glass top, but it doesn't have holes in it - I want adapter screw fittings which can be bonded onto the glass, then screwed onto the frame. This is how it is attached at the moment. . FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_5870.JPG

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your using a decent glass shop for the new top, then they should be able to supply the fittings you need or at least point you in the right direction / contact number

Have you asked the glass supplier ?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

When you say tightly glued 'into' the glass, do you mean 'into' or on to?

Thinking try superglue releaser.

7. Haz

Haz New Member

I have a very reputable glazier firm, and they say that they can bond on the new screws, but they can't supply them, on recommend a supplier.

8. Haz

Haz New Member

The screws are glued into the underside of the glass top. I don't think I would be able to get access to them without breaking the glass, and also I've read that it's very difficult to get the bonding surface of the screws completely clean.