Replace Immersion tank with instant water heater

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Colin Martin 8, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Colin Martin 8

Colin Martin 8 New Member

I'm moving to a flat that's all electric. I know the flat as I've owned it a few years and refurbished it when I bought it so I know where all the electric and water goes. I'm also used to living all electric as my current flat has no gas in it.

Has anybody installed and used used one of these 11KW instantaneous water heaters:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/strom-seih11kts1-touchscreen-instantaneous-water-heater-11kw/4681p

How well do they work?

I will be heating a tank of water for a few basins of hot water each day which is a bit wasteful. The shower is electric. One of these heaters looks a good solution to save some money on electricity and gain some storage space by removing the copper tank.

The new flat has a bath tub so the big question is can one of these heaters work well enough to fill a bath? It won't be on a regular basis just the occasional one on a cold winter day. How would it compare to a gas combi boiler filling a bath? I'm on the south coast in a busy city where winter is milder, rarely have frost, so the water input won't become extremely cold.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It won't be the first time I've been completely wrong on this forum (or the last no doubt) but....
    My initial thoughts are
    - £200.00 buys quite a lot of cheap rate electricity and that's before you add the cost of running the new heater whenever you want a hand basin full of water. You're not heating the whole of a well insulated tank every day, just what you take out and a bit for residual losses.
    - The proposed heater needs a dedicated supply - more cost for installation etc (more cheap rate electricity)
    - At a maximum of 6 litres a minute the bath will take a while to fill on three occasions that you do want to use it.
    I'm probably wrong (again) but my gut feeling is that it will take several years of 'savings' to recover the cost of installation and the running costs will be dearer. I also have an electricity only installation if that helps?
    Either way, I hope your move goes well and that whatever you choose works out alright.

3. Looks good at first glance right enough.

Pros and cons - you save the cylinder space, you don't heat water you don't need - and that's virtually the pros, I think?

Cons - much reduced hot water flow, initial cost of installation, almost certainly less reliable than an immersion element - and more costly to repair when it does go wrong.

Colin, you currently have an electric shower? That will be around 10kW? See how long that takes to fill your bath :)

4. Colin Martin 8

Colin Martin 8 New Member

Thanks for the responses.

The big gain in a flat will be storage space. I'm not too concerned about installation costs, I can put the heater in myself and the tank it would replace is the other side of a plasterboard wall where the consumer unit sits so an electrician could connect it for a reasonable amount. I did a test in my current place with my 7.5KW shower and it filled the hand basin quicker than the hot tap from the immersion tank. Replacement costs could be high but I've had expensive damage from a failed ball valve washer in a flat where a tenant forgot to tell me about the saturated cupboard and walls and somebody had one fail above the flat I'm moving to causing damage to my flat.

I am still sceptical about the heaters ability to fill a bath though so if anybody has experience of this it would be good to hear.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Combi boilers are slow enough and they've gotta be 20kw-30kw? 11Kw is roughly half what a combi boiler would be then, so it will fill a bath but you'll need to wait a bit.

My bath takes 2 minutes to fill (time to clean my teeth) from a hot water cylinder, depends how much you mind waiting...around 10 minutes, at a guess.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

gravity fed pipework to a bath would be 22 mm, so it fills much quicker than a basin with smaller pipework ,and if flexible hoses have been used on the basin to connect taps ,even slower. the electric water heater you are thinking of using will at best deliver 6 litres per minute.at a temperature rise of 30 degrees c. So in winter when cold mains water is much colder ,you would be lucky to get 5 ltrs per min at a decent temp to bath in .

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  7. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I would expect it would be fine for sinks etc, but useless for a bath. You would need the bath around 35C to feel warm when you get in it. You would be filling it around 3~4L/min according to their charts. An average bath is around 80l, so to even fill that you will be somewhere between 20 & 25 minutes, but that time the water will be well below the warm temperature that you want.
    You would also need to check it is capable of running for that duration, and finally you would have used about 5~6kwh to run it. So expect electricity bills to rise