Replace toilet shut off valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JackD340, Nov 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JackD340

JackD340 New Member

I'm replacing my existing toilet water shutoff with 1/4 turn valve. The water line is 1/2 " chrome plated copper. I bought a 1/2" valve with compression fitting but find the brass part does not fit on the water line. I used emery paper to remove the chrome but still can't get the brass cuff from the compression fitting to go on the water line. IDo they make shut off valves larger than 1/2" or what option do I have?

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Are you in America?? Or do you have an old house the pipe should be 15mm if in England

3. JackD340

JackD340 New Member

In US. This is the strangest situation with these chrome covered copper water line. I have three bathrooms and the same type of water line on each. This is the first one I'm replacing the valve on. House is 10 years old so should be pretty standard. I removed old soldered valve to put new one on, but as I said I can't get the new compression fitting over the chrome coated copper water line. Appreciate your help!

4. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Can't really help as out water pipes are all different to yours sorry all I can suggest it keep filing the pipe down until it fits or replace the solder fitting like for like

5. JackD340

JackD340 New Member

Thanks, anyway.