Replaced stove, flue queries

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jay459, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Ive changed my stove from a 5kw brossley to a 6kw charnwood. The brossley was terrible quality. The charnwood needs a 150mm flue so I got one of these plus the 8 to 6 inch adaptor.

I don't know much about these things but expected to see the liner coming down chimney or are they not compulsory.

Ive put the new pipes in with fire cement and first light went fine but just hoping everything is ok...

I put adaptor into flue pipe, sealed with fire cement, pushed up chimney, its not a tight fit within the chinney either, then just slid stove under, put flue in stove and sealed again with fire cement..its just every stove install I've seen online shows a liner of some sort up the chimney..

Attached Files:

2. Jay, solid fuel fires come under regs, I'm afraid - HETAS in this case.

You can do it yourself, but you are then meant to have it certified by Building Control.

My understanding is that a liner should be used if the existing flue is dodgy. Yours looks to be in good order - smooth, no cracks, no gaps. But I'm not a pro.

I'd have thought that having a flexible liner fitted in that flue - should it be necessary - would be easy and not too expensive, so it may be something you'd like to consider? Or at least get someone out to assess your flue so's you know for sure?

But, whatever else you do, buy a CO alarm and have it in that room...

3. Jay459

Jay459 Member

This is a new build property, the stove was just done before christmas by the builders, co and smoke alarm in living room. I pulled old stove out to return to manufacturer as it was faulty and seeing how simple it looked i thought i would do the new stove myself..

4. It'll almost certainly be fine, then :)

(As long as you got them joints well sealed...)

5. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Jay 459 get the builders back and get the fire fitted properly by them. It comes under your guarantee and if the fire is faulty you want something of merchantable quality. Mind you, you have taken it out so that would confuse the situation. I would still get in touch with the agent and have them round for a look.

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    i take it the picture of the reducer on the stove is a wind up?

regards
    peter

7. 132blackrs

132blackrs New Member

Jay,
    I installed my own stove two years ago (diy) and although it isn't really hard it has to be done right and approved by building control (although in my case he looked at the stove and checked the co alarm was there and off he went) lol. By the sounds of it you need to get your stove pipe (not the stainless steel reducer shown in your photo) sealed into your new stove collar and route it up into your chimney liner. It looks like you've got a precast liner in your new house which should give good result with new modern stoves but you'll need to get a good seal into that liner. Maybe you could get a closure plate made which will fix under your opening allowing you to seal the stove pipe with fire rope. That's how I did mine in the photo attached. You'll need to get a good seal for the liner to draw properly and for the stove to operate efficiently.

Attached Files:

8. Never mind your polite 'regards', chust explain what you mean... :rolleyes:

9. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    its a golden rule not to reduce the flue size on an open flue appliance?

regards
    peter

10. Ah. Didn't know - thanks.

Wot's peeps meant to do, then? The cove has a 5" flue and a much larger lined chimney.

If it were me, I'd fit a reducer :p