Replacement 18V Drill for stolen Makita

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gogs, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Gogs

Gogs Member

Wonder if you folks could give some advice. Had a break in and my Makita went Walkies, they left the charger and the battery that was charging.

Now I'm not in the trade as such ,well not the building/joinery trade so don't need to be spending a fortune.

I could get hold of a bare makita but seems technology has moved on so maybe time to move too.

Narrowed it down to a few below, unless any better suggestions :

Screwfix :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-1800-18v-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/8160g

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-1800-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/7649h

Other retailer :

http://www.campbellmillertools.co.u...i-drill-wireless-charging-2-x-batt-060186717j

Am I missing something, it would appear the drill itself are very similar?

Screwfix call is a GSB1800 but I think it also said 18v LI on it.

With the other retailer offered the 2 x batteries, different charging and L-Box its got to be better, unless the drill is not what it seems

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is the difference between one having a 3ah battery and the other 2 x 2ah. Plus special deals between suppliers and some suppliers having slightly older or special models just for them.

Any of them will probably do the job for you

3. Gogs

Gogs Member

Of course the battery, was more concerned if one of the drills were of lesser quality internally.

And the different charging system.

The deal with the 2 batteries, L box and wireless charging looks far better on paper but just is the drill a cheaper built model

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would check the warrant with the last deal as the other 2 have a 3 year warranty is pretty good

5. Gogs

Gogs Member

Sure Bosch been doing 3 year for a while on their drills like that from what can gather.

All you do is register, I did check with that other supplier as they never ru promoted it

6. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Personally I would go for whatever was the better drill. You can always pick up another battery at some point if needed and a wireless charger over a socketed one is neither here or there IMHO. Go to a store and try them out rather than buy blind. Balance, weight and feel are important in a drill as well as performance.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Great advice.

My elderly Bosch 18v has had it, also been looking around for something to replace, tempted with a brushless replacement either from Makita or Bosch, but Milwaukee are getting good reviews,tempted with the Milwaukee M18 BPP2C Twin Pack, as it comes with 2 4Ah batteries,but need to do a bit more research before spending the cash.

http://www.tradecounterdirect.com/p...2a-402c.html?gclid=CP7MiYPVsMoCFQoOwwodQDENVQ

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    GoodwithWood likes this.
  8. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

If it wasn't for the fact I'm committed to Makita due to number of cordless tools and batteries I own I would seriously consider Milwaukee kit for sure. Been very impressed with what I've seen and they have the dogs when it comes to battery powered Recip.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I must admit, most of my tools are 240v, but as I am retired & don't work on site any more, have a 12v Makita drill/driver for quick jobs,but the batteries are becoming a bit tired now. I have been seriously been looking at Milwaukee kit & have had good reports.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The engineers at work tend to use Milwaukee and the chippies tend to use Makita.

11. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

after years of having makita and bosch, i went over to dewalt, but as its warn out lasting just about 2 1/2 years, ive started to replace it with metabo, its another league, a joiner mate of mine has festool everything, but he was impressed,
    metabo new batteries on there 18 volt are 6.2 amp,