replacement bathroom extractor fan

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dave bowman, May 9, 2017.

1. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

hi guys, electrical newb here.

I have a non - working extractor fan in my bathroom that i am looking to replace (vent axia selv 12).

When I unscrewed it from the wall to see if I could see anything wrong I made a note of the wiring and there are only 3 wires, live, neutral and earth, with the earth wire folded up and tucked away inside the fan.

My question is, what is the simplest way to replace this fan and what product should I order from Screwfix?

2. Have you checked that the transformer is working and the fan switch is turned on.
    If you have to replace I would replace like for like.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I dont understand. The fan is supplied with a 12 volt SELV supply and there is an earth present and tucked away..earth present on a SELV supply?

4. Whoever installed it JP must have used twin and earth and put a bit of sleeving on the earth at the fan side.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I suppose that must be the reason Dobs - seems logical m8

6. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

thx for the replies.

it was installed by contractors working for the council when they rewired the whole estate a few years ago. Now i have bought the house so don't really know what they have done or what i need to replace with.

When the old fan is activated by the pull cord the red light comes on at the bottom of the unit but nothing else happens.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Maybe the impeller is jammed/clogged up with fluff etc Dave - after making sure the unit is turned off, is it possible to remove the cover and spin the impeller by using a strategically placed digit? maybe loads of fluff and stuff around the impeller is jamming it and creating a stall situation.

dave bowman likes this.
  8. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

I have just taken the fan down and cleaned it out with a can of air. The blades turn freely and when i put the fan back on the wall the red light comes on still but nothing else happens.

9. Illio Juzygen

Illio Juzygen New Member

sounds like the motor has had it

dave bowman likes this.
  10. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

Yeah it does look pretty terminal :(.

Any suggestions for a replacement would be appreciated because the missus is wanting me to redecorate the bathroom and I would like to sort this out first.

I've been reading on here about other fans that need a 3rd cable (which I don't have), so anything that is literally plug and play for my situation would be great.

arnaud lamotte likes this.
  11. Google the model number of the fan you have and replace it like for like.
    Screwfix probably do not stock the fan you have,there are plenty more suppliers and some of them a lot cheaper.

dave bowman likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The 3rd cable as you say would be 'permanent live' and that gives the fan an overrun function to help clear the steam once fan turned off

As you haven't got this option and looking for straight forward replacement, either get same model (if still available) or pretty much any 12v fan without timer function, again same type, i.e. in line, wall mounted. Guessing standard 100mm fan so loads available at differant price points

Can use a fan with timer function and fan will work but obviously not overrun function and more expensive so no point

This is an easy job to do and you can do it :)

dave bowman likes this.
  13. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

I believe that this is a suitable replacement

VENT-AXIA VA100X 20W AXIAL BATHROOM FAN

Unless I'm making another newb move I'm gonna order this in a couple of hours.

Thanks for all your help guys

14. dave bowman likes this.
  15. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

Thanks Deleted member 11267.

I will purchase this one instead

VA100SVLH12

16. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

Or maybe this one

XPELAIR LV100TS 12W LOW VOLTAGE BATHROOM EXTRACTOR FAN

lol

or maybe not cos I have just read the bit about the included transformer

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  17. dave bowman

dave bowman New Member

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their helpful advice.

I finally bought an Xpelair lv100ps and fitted it last Saturday and it is working fine. The usual after shower fog has gone. :)