replacement cu

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by zeko, Apr 6, 2014.

1. zeko

zeko New Member

in the past 2 months I have came across 3 replacement cu in older installations that have had earth /neutral
    faults that have been tripping the main rcd and the person fitting them have just disconnected the earths
    instead of tracing the fault strangely when you tell the customer this is unsafe and to get the electrician
    back they say they got them from the small adds in paper when you tell them how much it will cost to fix they are not to happy is this a common thing or is it just me

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Its a common thing (amongst the unscrupulous)! On 16th edition boards you would often find a circuit that you would normally expect to be RCD protected had been moved on to the non-RCD side and when transferring it back on to the correct RCD side it would trip the RCD. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    FatHands likes this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've never even considered disconnecting the earth in such a case! (and I've had a few!)

FatHands likes this.
  4. zeko

zeko New Member

that's how these get away with replacing cu for £150 cash no cert no prob

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I can't see how anyone can quote for something without inspecting it first.
    In the CU swop out scenario all types of grief can be encountered yet amazed at the amount of people who (allegedly) get a price just by giving someone a quick call!

6. zeko

zeko New Member

my point exactly but it easy just join the short wires put some tape on them don't connect the earths and get a new pay as you go phone number after every job