Replacement for Grundfos pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Yamabushi, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Yamabushi

Yamabushi New Member

Hi All,

My Grudnfos UPS18-60 Modlel A heating/hot water circulation pump has failed (just before the cold weather to turn in !)can I replace it with a Wilco Smart Pump ? as they are half the price, the specs look the same but am I making a false ecomany ? My heating system is for a normal size 3 bed house (12 rads)with a combi boiler and emersion tank. Many thanks for any help.

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

if you have a combi the pump will be inside the combi and needs to be replaced with the same type/make, however you also say you have a immerion, which is not immpossible but untypical of a combi system, if the pump is on the system pipework and not inside the boiler you can use the cheaper pump but run the risk of less life span of the pump due to its poorer quality,

3. Yamabushi

Yamabushi New Member

The pump is on the system pipework next to the imersion, the whole heating system appeears to have been put together by several different people over a period of time and probaly will need totaly replacing in the near future so I'm happy to live with shorter life span on the pump in the short term, many thanks for your promt and helpful reply.

4. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

The Wilo smart is a great pump. Cheap and good. If you have TRVs it will make a difference as it auto winds up and down. It uses less electricity and is quieter.

5. rome60

rome60 New Member

You get what you pay for Grundfos Alpha a superior
    pump.

6. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Grundfos are a very good pump indeed. Howver if you have a clean system the Wilo is just as good. The Wilo doe snot like dirty systems. Fit a Wilo and Spirovent filter (which does all the system not just protect a pump) and there will will be few problems. So:

£48 for the Wilo Smart
    £105 for the Spirovent
    Gives : £153 - and whole system protection.

The best I have seen an Alpha is Inc VAT: £108

So, that is £45 for the filter to protect the whole house. Not bad at all.

BTW, most combis are fitted with Wilo pumps.

7. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Pearls of wisdom from water systems,no most combination boilers are not fitted with Wilo ,yes some of mid low end stuff will use them

Grundfos is by far the preffered aquablock choice for leading manufacturers

Glad you are recommending the spirotech an excellent piece of kit,obviously you do not have any experience of apart from reading we site literature

carry on living in cloud cuckoo land

Any unvented cylinders blown up lately and under what guise are your personal favourites now days ol gledhill ,any slight change of name since the last one?

8. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Pearls of wisdom from water systems,no most
    combination boilers are not fitted with Wilo ,yes
    some of mid low end stuff will use them

Grundfos is by far the preffered aquablock choice for
    leading manufacturers

Most combis sold are low end models. He goes on...

Glad you are recommending the spirotech an excellent
    piece of kit,obviously you do not have any experience
    of apart from reading we site literature

He can use Magnaclean unit as well.

You must keep changing bathrooms, as other things confuse you. Sad but true?

9. Switcher

Switcher New Member

Fitted three Wilo pumps to a new heating system recently.
    Any way this was an UFH system and when I had them fitted and pipes purged , the pumps ran super silent.
    The guvnor was right pleased although a little sceptical about my opinion.
    Anyways this ole timeserved bloke from the UFH company insisted on Grundfos as he considered them quieter and persuaded the guvnor the Wilo's had to go ASAP.
    So muggins here had to remove the Wilo's and return to merchant.
    Fitted the Grundfos pumps and guess what?

They were humming like blue blazes!
    Informed the guvnor who wasn't amused at all.

Me? I was cracking up. ROFL. Ha ha haha. LOL

10. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

If it is 100% UFH, there is little ferrous in the system. Have a filter and Wilo pumps are filly protected - they do not like dirt on the carbon bearings. Keep them in a clean system and not too hot and they are quite and last.