Replacement handles for aluminium double glazing windows

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by super diy girl, Feb 18, 2005.

1. super diy girl

super diy girl New Member

Hello,

My house is fitted with aluminium double glazing windows. 2 handles are missing/fallen off with no possibility to put back as the connection is broken. Where could I found new ones? Thanks for your replies.

2. Markybob

Markybob New Member

3. tile-it

tile-it New Member

hya, have you managed to get fixed up with spare handles ? if not, i am doing some work for a double glazing company and may be able to help. i'll check on here over the weekend to see if you reply.

4. super diy girl

Thanks Markybob and Tile-it,

I've checked on the Lockmaster website, one of the handles is close in design but not the same, mine are older,
    Tile-it, I would appreciate if you could tell me how to contact your company,
    many thanks
    Have a good week-end
    Super DIY girl

5. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

god, u sound so nice,so special, so un asumming, r u a virgo ?

6. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Is there any evidence on the window locking bars who the manufacturer is?

7. super diy girl

Hi Markybob,

No, no name or mark whatsoever

8. Markybob

Markybob New Member

<< no possibility to back on connection broken >>

Is it the handle assembly broken or the mechanism within the frame where the handle fits broken.

Is there a square hole in the frame of the window where the handle used to be? If so can you operate the lock by turning a flatbladed screwdriver in the square hole

9. super diy girl

I have 2 handles with a problem.
    In both cases it is the handle assembly which is broken. In one case I have the fallen handle, in the second case, no handle at all.

In each case the part fixed to the frame is still there.

10. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Theres a good chance that you will be able to replace the handle with a generic replacement. Remove the remaining broken parts of the handles. This is done by removing the two retaining screws, one or both may be concealed by a sticky cover pad, ping it off with a small flat bladed screwdriver. Once removed, check the locking mechanism within the window by pushing a flat bladed screwdriver into the square hole and twisting (you need the correct sized driver). It will work be it just a bit stiff. report back

11. Markybob

Markybob New Member

12. super diy girl

Thanks for your reply Markybob,

the part fixed to the panel do not have any screws, it's fixed by rivets, I have already tried to take it out by driling through the rivets but it didn't work. I guess I will have to use a bigger drill bit!

I need an aluminium colour handle, so your suggestion in the screwfix catalogue will not work, but thanks for the search. Lockmaster do one quite close to the design, but I would rather find the exact same one, otherwise I will have to replace the second one on the same panel. I would rather avoid that seeing the difficulty I have to remove the part attached to the panel!

I live in Headington, but obviously any shop around Oxford susceptible to help would be very welcome.

Cheers.

13. Markybob

Markybob New Member

RIVETS....... ouch, is this a bodge do you think or original? Do your travels bring you out to aylesbury?

Or maybe

14. Markybob

Markybob New Member

15. super diy girl

They are the original ones! I would say around 20 years old!

Many thanks for the time you took to find all the info and for the link, I will check him out.

I really appreciate.

16. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi SDG,

I noticed some replacement handles in BnQ warehouse. They seem quite basic and I wonder if you could strip the bits you need off to repair the existing handles.

Have a look in your local branch they might solve your problem.

DWD

17. Markybob

Markybob New Member

No worries. The rivet will require a drill the same size as the rivet shank to remove it. Being twenty years old this could be imperial, unless the window furniture is european. I would go for a 5mm diameter drill. Obviously the window isn't threaded so theres a good chance that you will need to rivet the replacements back on. You could drill and tap the aluminium but I think it would be to thin for this, also if the rivets are 3/16" (4.7) the hole that would remain is to large to tap for M5. So you will need some 5mm rivets and a hefty rivet gun to refit them!

18. super diy girl

Thanks DWD,

I will, I have to go there tomorrow for some other stuff anyway!

Cheers

SDG

19. super diy girl

oh oh! Nothing imperial about this, trust me!

I drilled with a 3mm, and it took me ages (there is 4 rivets!) and still nothing moved at all.
    I didn't touch it since, wanted some advice before doing anything stupid.

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have you actually got the rivets out ?

Handyandy - really