Replacement hot water cylinder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by robj20, Nov 30, 2015.

1. robj20

robj20 New Member

Ours has sprung a leak. Not 100% on which we need, it has a single large expansion tank in the loft that allows for the overflow from the cylinder as well, how do i know if its direct of indirect and is there anything else to look for.
    Pretty sure its indirect as there is what looks like a bleed screw above one of the pipes so i presume its for the coil.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

if its heated by an immersion its direct, if by boiler its indirect .

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

No disrespect but if you have to ask such a basic question please get a professional in to change it.

Glad its Friday likes this.
  4. Oooh, that's soooo disrespectful.

5. robj20

robj20 New Member

Bit short on money at the minute cant afford to get someone in. Its my father in law that will be fitting it, anyway found out its some weird tank primatic or something so were changing it to an indirect with a coil in so will need another smaller expansion tank in the loft and a change to some of the pipework.

6. robj20

robj20 New Member

Got the cylinder piped in now, just waiting to finish it tonight was a tap connector short for the new fill valve.
    Having turned all the electrics off to remove the old immersion heater, when i have switched it all back on the boiler controller has stopped showing the CH side of things and only shows the Hot Water side.

Its a Potterton EP3001. What can cause it to lose the CH side of the controls?