Replacement Kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Denneva, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Denneva

Denneva New Member

Looking at replacing our kitchen, its a old Magnet one we think about 15 years old. Have more or less got it down to either Howdens or Wicks, anyone got any views on either of this. Will strip out old kitchen before, and as I'm a retired plumber i want to do that myself, electrics more or less stay same with addition of one more socket. Not interested in B& Q, and been told Magnet expensive. Any help appreciated.

2. Before you buy your kitchen from one of the sheds, have a look at DIY kitchens .com
    I am about to instal a new kitchen when we move house in a couple of weeks time ( hopefully) and they came highly recommended.
    All of their units are made to order and they do 900 high wall cabinets which we like, and like you , our last kitchen came from magnets.
    The other reason we are choosing this company is that they sell handless kitchens in painted MDF as well as the trendier gloss finish.
    I'm not a fan of the gloss effect and I don't think it will stand the test of time like the painted one ( which can be repainted if it gets a bit tired looking).

Take a look, you might be surprised
    Mike

3. Denneva

Denneva New Member

Someone else mentioned these people, I'll give them a look, I'm not 100% on buying without seeing , but I see they do samples, which helps. Thanks for letting me know

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Have you got a design done yet? That would be the starting point as you can then compare prices properly.

Howdens is trade only and there will also be a big difference in price between Magnet and Magnet trade.

Regardless, a kitchen is only as good as the fitting and even a 'cheapo' can look good/last if fitted properly.

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

We had a Magnet one, fitted by their fitters. Happy with quality & price, but employed my own tiler. Everyone to their own, I suppose.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

DIY Kitchens, very impressed with their kitchens, fitted two a few years ago, will be a third one here in the coming months, they have a very good range of units, 900mm wall units very useful, & the reduced depth base units solved a problem & save a lot of time not having to trim down standard units to fit.
    They do a rather nice Chefs Pantry Unit, expensive but it offers a lot of storage & good assorment of corner & quadant units.

Well worth poking your nose in their showroom if your near Doncaster.

http://www.diy-kitchens.com/

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's South Kirkby,near Pontefract, another of those days again.:confused:

8. ssusan

ssusan New Member

Have bought my kitchen from Diykitchens.com . saved a lot compared to wicks and Howdens, in fact I looked at a lot of the high street brands and none compared to Diykitchens , they have a show room which you can visit at W Yorks which we did and it's beautifully fitted out over 2 floors with a large range of kitchens they also have samples of cabinets and worktops , as soon as you enter you know there is no pressure to buy you are just left to wander around with no pushy salesman following you, there is a customer service desk where you can get advice and you don't pay there you go home order everything online and pay. brilliant. also there is a drinks machine and fridge with cold drinks and yummy biscuits for free which we welcomed after the 55 ml drive. Highly recommend.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do you work for them :eek:

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Their showroom is some where I want to visit, just looking at their showroom tour video on their site it looks superb.

11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I've just fitted one from DIY kitchens, for myself.
    We'd visited the showroom back in December, to actually see the quality of the units. I was impressed.

You can't order at the showroom. You can only order online. The "advisors" they have at the showroom are just that, advisors, not hard sell salesman. That alone made the visit, (a long trip though it was!), worthwhile.

I'm only DIY, not trade, but I've fitted about 6 or 7 kitchens over the past 20 years or so, for family and friends, varying in quality, usually from one or the of the "sheds".
    No doubt that these are well built units.
    The backs are 8mm thick, not just the usual 4mm. Same for the draw bases. Hinges are good quality.
    Voids at the back are a hairs width under 40mm, which I though was a little snug, but not a problem.

You have to be very thorough/careful when ordering... you have to order all handles separately, and if you're having them drill the doors for the hinges, you have to specify which side the hinges are. (They actually got one wrong on one of ours, but in that specific instance it really didn't matter).

Post delivery service was pretty good too. We had a couple of units delivered where they'd not completely fitted the inside wirework. A guy was sent all the way to London within a couple of days to fit the gubbins. Unfortunately he made a bit of a karzi of it, and agreed so himself. The next day whem I rang to speak to the bloke in charge of service, he'd already arranged delivery of a replacement complete unit with the innards, (a wall carousel), fitted.

I'd certainly use them again.

Regards,

Cando

12. candoabitofmoststuff

13. ssusan

ssusan New Member

Haha, no I don't work for them, just giving credit where it's due :)

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

None of that is actually that good really.

15. candoabitofmoststuff

Sorry chippie... None of what? Are you saying the units are no good?

Cando

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Like the tiles.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry, I wrote that last night but only hit the post button just now.
    They aren't necesserely bad but you can do better, solid backs, proper voids, not cocking up in the first place, not cocking up the snagging etc.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Get a new phone.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Posting on a laptop.
    I usually hit the return button and then wonder why it hasn't posted.

20. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

They are a very good carcass. The variety of interior colour choice is brilliant for the more daring designers. Where I feel they are limited is in the frontals / decor panels. Very few of the unit colours actually match the door colours. Yours pictured does and looks nice but you could have got the same from Howdens, probably for less than DIY Kitchens. I do like them but they are not that cheap by the time you pay all the extras ( who wants to drill their own hinge holes? ). And I get 20% off!
    But I use them for wonderful sideboards - zebrano carcass with red gloss frontals - amazing.