Replacement UPVC Windows

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by IRHM73, Apr 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IRHM73

IRHM73 New Member

Hi, I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please.

I'm in the process of buying a property which need all of the UPVC windows replacing.

I just wondered whether someone with more knowledge, perhaps from the trade themselves may be able to recommend a good quality manufacturer.

I have done some research and elsewhere these have been recommended Rehau, Kommerling, Schuco and Veka, but the post I've taken this from is a little old, so things may have moved on now.

Many thanks and regards

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What age is the house? Fitting new windows will make a big difference on the look of the house.

Personally I avoid UPVC windows - they don't look nice.

Fitted some aluminum windows last year, which had thinners profiles, and will have a longer life overall. More expensive.

3. IRHM73

IRHM73 New Member

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

The house is brick built and was built in 1999.

Yes I had looked at the aluminium windows, but as you say more expensive, and I'm on a slightly tight budget.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That means the windows aren't very old?

Only 17 years. What's wrong with the current one?

5. IRHM73

IRHM73 New Member

The current owner hasn't looked after the current timber framed ones. They're rotten and swollen, so they need replacing.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

#iv'e only done one house install for windows, went through BC and they issued certificate afterwards. Saved money as bought from manufacture.

Had bad experience from window fitters in past- so order and fit them myself (with help). Unless they are timber sash windows.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Engineered timber window frames are becoming more popular over here.

Deceuninckdo PVC windows are good, also available are their RAL coloured window frames & doors, so they never need painting.

http://www.deceuninck.com/uk/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. Acealfa

Acealfa New Member

Hi, instead of starting a new thread I will ask because it may also help.

I will need to fit a UPVC window for my kitchen soon. The house is quite old & doesn't have any damp proofing. What is the standard procedure? I'm struggling to find any guides on how to do it? Thanks/

10. IRHM73

IRHM73 New Member

Hi sincere thanks for this, very helpful.

Kind Regards

11. IRHM73

IRHM73 New Member

Hi, really appreciate the help with this.

I'll take a look at the website.

Kind regards

12. Potter6981

Potter6981 New Member

IMG_5631.JPG IMG_5630.JPG IMG_5629.PNG Hi, does anyone know what would cause these fault in a upvc window that's only 4 years old ? Picture one is the seal on the frame were the sash buts up to, when the window is closed the top and bottom of the seal is compressed but in the middle there is a gap where you can hear noise and feel a draft ? The second picture is where the edge of the frame meets the internal wall at the top the gap is far small than then gap at the bottom and causes the gap on the bottom of the sash small at the bottom looks totally uneven ? Can anyone help.
    Thanks

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I would assume the window has been fitted out of level which would cause photo two, and possibly the fixings used have distorted the frame somewhat, causing photo one. But without seeing its an educated guess I'm afraid....

14. Potter6981

Potter6981 New Member

Thanks for your reply, it's hard because the fitter is saying everything is fitted correct and the window company saying the product is fine when there is deffenty a problem the window is a push out from the bottom sash would changing it to a side opening sash make a difference ?
    Thanks

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Timber framed uPVC windows?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If fitted correctly it wouldn't make a difference no, as there's clearly a problem with yours. I would try putting the longest spirit level you can fit between the window jambs(sides) and top and bottom rails and test for level and straightness. Quite possibly the window is fitted out of wind(parallel), contributing to your issue. Sometimes if expanding foam is used to secure the window frame overuse can distort the frame, something else for you to check.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Christ, another helping of parasitic piggy! Don't think I can take much more, I've had my fill already!!!!!

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

PETER...PETER....PETER................More SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

But I didn't try to sell myself.......? ;)

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No! I know..........cant afford you :D:p