Replacement window & Sill

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by oops, Oct 4, 2013.

1. oops

oops Member

Hi all,

I would like to replace an old window & sill.  Can I please check that I am approaching this correctly:

• Remove window.
    • Remove 1 brick either side above sill to facilitate sill removal.
    • Do I need a DPC under the new sill ? if so do I wrap it up & around the sill edges ?
    • The current sill is flat, so I was going to sit the new sill (composite) slightly leaning forward to help the rain run off.
    • Replace the removed bricks.
    • Replace the window.
    I assume the sill cant be turn around instead of replaced ??  As you can see there is extensive water damage over the last c. 80 years.

I appreciate I need to advise BC, any helpful literature to follow to make my installation comply to regs ?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Sorry I dont know how to turn the picture ;)

[​IMG]

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You wont have to infrorm BC, thats only if you are altering the window size. Will you have a wooden window frame or PVC?

3. oops

oops Member

Thanks for responding.  I am replacing the existing PVC with PVC.

Thanks again.

4. oops

oops Member

Sory Jitender, maybe I have the BC bit wrong.  My understanding was that windows need to be installed by a FENSA approved installer, or I need to advise someone else if I plan to do it myself ?

Thanks again.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm not too sure about this but many people buy there own windows direct and install themselves. As long as the window is to currect regs (Part L i beieve) I dont see any probem installing yourself.  If you remove the old sill another course of bricks will have to be laid. I dont think you will have to remove bricks above either side of sill as it looks like it has been cut in.

6. Id be inclined to leave the existing stone/concrete cill in, looks far better than a plastic cill.

The other window should come out easily enough, remove  beads, then glass, locate fixings and remove.

You should be okay replacing just the one window, if in doubt keep the stickers that will be on the new glass.

7. oops

oops Member

Thanks CB. I have ordered a new stone window sill (well a modern equivalent). Should i use dpc under the sill ? Thanks for your help

8. If your replacing the cill fit dpc under it, allow enough so it can be tucked up behind the cill.

9. oops

oops Member

Thanks gents, appreciate your help

10. oops

oops Member

Thanks gents, appreciate your help

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you are installing a new window including the frame it should be to current building standards and certified as such by using a FENSA installer or having BC check it out for a fee, the date the D/G unit was made will be on the interior of the glass and the inquisitive, if you were wanting to sell your house, could ask for those certs, however in practise go ahead.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I understood that like for like needed no intervention(mind their own business)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've only changed old windows that didn't meet current regs for windows that did and I had to inform BC and pay a fee, or the client did.

14. oops

oops Member

Sorry to be slow but for the dpc under the new cill:

cement onto the bricks, then dpc, then cement, then cill ??  Sorry just learning.

Thanks Gents for your help

15. Mr. Handyandy

You only really need the dpc to separate the sill from the inner wall/sill. You don't need it underneath the new sill.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. oops

oops Member

Ok Andy. So the dpc i have is only a brick wide. So i get a wider sheet. Dont let the new cill quite bridge the cavity & then bring the dpc up the back to ensure the damp cant reach the inner wall ??  Have i got this right ?

Thanks

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Wasn't too sure about the DPC bit. But when builders build a wall they lay DPC directly onto bricks, then lay the mortar bed on top. Never understood this as their is no bond between the DPC and underlying brickwork - surely the wall would fall down? Apparently not.

18. Mr. Handyandy

It is 'supposed' to be sandwiched between mortar.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. Mr. Handyandy

It'll depend on the layout inside. If the concrete sill is completely below the inner(timber sill?)and is not in contact with the inner wall(it shouldn't be), then no dpc is needed at all.

A tip: Once you have got the window out(and assuming the same size going back) mark where the bottom of the window was. This will help you to bed the new sill down the the correct height when you come to do it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. oops

oops Member

Thanks andy, 'smarticles' re the marking the bottom of the old window ;) 

Thanks