Replacement Windows on a rendered house - Rehau 60mm or 70mm - ease of fitting.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Plec, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Plec

Plec Member

@Mr. Handyandy or anyone else in the know.

Firstly thanks again for all your previous help (and others)

I wonder if you could clear up another layman's confusion with the measurement of the windows for me.

For the quote i was told to take the measurement from the inside only - but on measuring the outside, purely for comparison purposes, i noticed that this measurement is always larger.

For example on a 3 pane window its width is 176cm on the inside and 172cm on the outside - a difference of 4cm.

So my 'stupid' question is - if the windows are only measured from the inside (i had a quote a few years ago the surveyor also only measured from the inside) - and the inside is smaller than the rendered outside - how will the window stay in?

Won't there be a big gap around the outside that would need filling - i.e. rather than the window fitting into the original gap; which i originally thought would make fitting difficulties (see OP)?

Apologies, if I've missed something very obvious here.

Thanks again for any advice - or an explanation of what may prove to be the bleedin' obvious :)

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's not a stupid question so don't worry, each instance is different but in this situation you'd take the smallest measurement then before fitting, the installer would either fit add-on strips up either side of the window or be a bit rough and centralize the window with packers, fix in position then foam the gaps up the edges of the windows, to apply silicone sealant later to hide the gap and weatherseal(though 10mm each side is rather a large gap in my opinion, I'd prefer to split the difference and have a gap of 5mm each side.) If the window was made to the larger measurement, once fitted you may lose part of the frame behind the plaster reveals and may have difficulty later when it comes to glaze and fit the beads.

Plec and KIAB like this.
  3. Plec

Plec Member

Thanks for your detailed reply @Jord86 - that's helped me picture the installation process a great deal, regarding render issues, and cleared up my confusion.

And thanks to everyone again who replied to my OP - really is a great forum/community, really appreciated.

Cheers.

KIAB likes this.