Replacing a Danfoss RMT230

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by joxta, Mar 15, 2011.

1. joxta

joxta New Member

Hi, I hope this is the correct place to ask this...

I am going to replace the Danfoss RMT230 room stat in my house with a honeywell DT90E.

On the RMT230, i have three wires to it (from left to right):

4 - Blue - Neutral, i think
    1 - Red - Live
    3 - Not connected
    2 - Yellow - Switched live?

Would I be correct in what I think the wires are, and therefore do they need to be connected to the DT90E as follows:

Red (Live) to A
    Blue (Neutral) to B
    Yellow (Switched) to C

Thanks for any help.

2. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Hi Joxta, Dont connect it up like that, you will blow it up.    I have just looked at the diagrams so if your description of your old stat is correct what you give then the new stat connect as follows.   put the red (old number 1) onto A of the new one,   Put the yellow (old number 2) onto B of the old one.      The blue (old number 4) must not be connected but fit a small connecter on it to seal it off & tuck it away in the available space in the stat.

3. joxta

joxta New Member

Thanks, for the info - glad I asked :)  I'll be swapping it at the weekend, so I'll let you know what happens.

4. neil brown

neil brown New Member

Hi Wally, I don't suppose you know if I can replace the RMT230 with a Drayton Digistat +2 Room Thermostat or indeed if there might be a better option that provides 7 day variable temperature settings as a replacement? (the RMT230 has 3 wires)

Thanks very much, Neil

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sorry to say but Wally passed away on 15 September 2014.

6. neil brown

neil brown New Member

Oh how very sad !!

7. Yep - it always gives you a 'start' when you come across a post from a departed contributor, especially a highly-regarded one like Wally :(.

Anyways, Neil - yep, you can do a straight swap. Well, fairly straight...

Check your RMT230 - can you confirm it has wires going to terminals 4, 1 and 2? If so, the wire going to 4 is the Neutral, to 1 is the Live, and to 2 is the 'Switched Live'. (And nothing to 3)

And there is hopefully an 'earth' wire going to the back-box?

Ok, your proposed new stat (it looks good, but I have no practical experience of it. I'm sure it'll be fine.) is battery-operated so doesn't need the 'Neutral'. Therefore, that wire should be terminated safely in the back-box. Two ways you can do this - one is screw it into a loose, insulated terminal and wrap tape around it for good measure, the other is to snip off the bare wire end, fold the end over on itself and tape it all up securely. Use black or blue tape.

Then your Live goes to terminal 'C' on your new 'stat (C = common) and the wire that went to term 2 on the old stat now goes to Terminal 'ON' on the new one.

Bob's yer whatsit.

If you want to avoid having to use batteries (no big issue), you could try and find a prog stat that's mains powered - since you have the necessary 'neutral' available.

Perhaps others could recommend what they consider to be the best Prog Stat?

8. Dave Chattaway

Dave Chattaway New Member

Hi, first time on this forum, here goes.
    I have a Danfoss RMT230, and want to change to a Salus RT300. Could someone help re wiring.

Attached Files:

9. The brown wire in number 1 on the Danfoss will go to L on the Salus.
    The black wire sleeved brown in number 2 on the Danfoss will go to SL on the Salus.
    Put the grey wire sleeved blue in a piece of connector strip and park it safely.
    Terminate the earth wire,although not shown, in the terminal reserved for it in the back plate.Put green and yellow sleeving on it if it is not there already.

Dave Chattaway likes this.
  10. Dave Chattaway

Dave Chattaway New Member

Thank you Deleted member 11267

11. scottyboy1

scottyboy1 New Member

Hi All
    I have
    I have a Danfoss RMT230, and want to change to a digital on not sure what is the best compatible one to change to also is it possible to help explane the wire set up and would it be straight forward i have a blue wire then red then a yellow with a brown sleeve and a earth thats not connected if that makes sense. many thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  12. Dominic Mason

Dominic Mason New Member

Hi can anyone help I have a danfoss rmt230 and I want to replace it with a Honeywell bdr91 and have know idea what wires go where I have a a black with black sleeve going into 4 brown in 1 and grey with black sleeve in 2
    AC8E9C1B-BD56-46F5-92A0-36704C8D108E.jpeg 66318153-DE2F-4874-BEF3-E32A2C97AFF2.jpeg

13. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Old stat 4 into new stat neutral.
    Old stat 1 into new stat live.
    Old stat 2 into new stat b.
    Then a link from live to a

Dominic Mason likes this.
  14. Dominic Mason

Dominic Mason New Member

Thank you massive help all done and set up thank you

15. Barber007

Barber007 New Member

Hi can anyone help me with the wiring from the RM230 to the RET2000M

I've put the L and N in and then that leaves me with one other wire ( black ) which I have tried in 1, 2 and 3 at different times ( COM, ON and OFF) yet the boiler does not fire up when I set the thermostat to call for heat.

It's a cold house now so any suggestions please ?
    Thankyou

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It’s a volt free stat you have.
    If your sure the L&N is correct then the black goes in to 2.
    You then need to link live and 1.

17. Barber007

Barber007 New Member

Thanks Mike - I have attached the wiring diagram from the new digital thermostat RET2000M - so I am missing a link from L to 1 is that correct?

Thanks

Attached Files:

18. Barber007

Barber007 New Member

Also to note Mike83 that I haven't touched any other DIL switches - which again I hope is correct

Cheer Trev

19. Barber007

Barber007 New Member

Mike - the thermostat isn't working right. All the dip switches are to the left, when I try to enter programming mode I get the r5 on the screen . Any help much appreciated - could the link need to be between live and 3???

20. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The wiring is correct.
    I’m unsure about what r5 is though.