Replacing a flat roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by seabro, Mar 28, 2015.

1. seabro

seabro New Member

I have a garage roof which is one roof across my and neighbours garages. Both roofs are ruined but neighbour doesn't want to have theirs repaired.

My concern is the join, I have talked to a few roofers and all but one of them said they would simply overlap onto neighbours side by about 18 inches. Is this acceptable? Sounds like I am at their roofers mercy when they get theirs done - what if he is a cowboy?

One roofer said he would use a 2x4 at the join and EPDM my side and their would be a lip between the two roofs, this sounded better to me. I told him to go ahead and he didn't turn up.. twice.

I just want to get it done, and now I am back speaking to roofers and their saying things like, can you speak to the neighbour and ask them to get theirs done. Nooooo I have been around this block too many times I just want a roof.

So far I have had:

Didn't call me back.
    Called back but didn't turn up to quote.
    Turned up to quote but never sent the quote.
    Turned up, sent a quote and didn't turn up to do the job.

My tenant thinks I am a billy liar!

Anyway, I went a bit off topic. How do proper roofers deal with only doing half of what is effectively one large roof?

Thanks for your help.

ps. The guy who didn't turn up to do the work, he was going to 18mm board straight over the existing felt, no removing anything just straight over then the Firestone EPDM over the boards. Is this standard practice? Cheaper than a skip I suppose.

2. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

i think the first issue you have, when work is carried out on your side of the roof,
    will your neighbour seek to get his roof done for nothing, blaming your contractor for damaging his already ruined roof,
    call me cynical but 33years in the building industry tends to have this effect,
    contact trading standards with reference to the trust a trader scheme to find a local approved roofing contractor in your area,

good luck

darren

seabro likes this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You might wish to point out to your neighbour that if he chooses not to repair, then once you have repaired yours and as it is a shared roof, if there is any seepage onto your property causing potential ongoing damage that you will have both the right to force a repair through injunction and claim damages against him/his insurance company for any damage. Bit of a sledgehammer, but might focus his mind to do the sensible thing.

seabro likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And take photo's plenty of them showing condition of roof now, from every angle, even inside condition of garage roof, & after work been done.
    As Darran has pointed out, your neighbour will try it on, with getting a free roof, after 35 years in building I've seen it all.

Harryboy1955 and seabro like this.
  5. seabro

seabro New Member

Thank you for your helpful replies.