Replacing a wired room thermostat

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by simontax, Jun 20, 2017.

1. simontax

simontax New Member

Yes it's a topic that's been discussed several times before, but my query is a bit different.

We have a traditional gas boiler central heating system supplying hot water to a tank and heating to radiators, controlled by a Honeywell ST6400C in the airing cupboard, wired to a room thermostat downstairs. The thermostat connection is three-wire. I fully understand the two-wire / three-wire question for the wired thermostat and it's not relevant here.

I want to upgrade the room thermostat to one that has its own timer so that, for example, the morning temperature can be set different from the evening temperature.

Rather than replace the whole system, can I fit a programmable thermostat such as Honeywell's CM907 in place of the existing room thermostat? It seems to me that if the ST6400C in the airing cupboard is left on "CONSTANT" for central heating, it would hand over the timing control to the room thermostat.

Any downside? I can see one - the CM907 is battery-operated, which is a pain. Does anyone know of a mains-operated equivalent?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Simon

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

These are intended for combi boilers, but your suggestion will work giving the features you describe. I have not seen a mains operated version, but the battery will last for more than a year. Why not go all the way and get a radio frequency thermostat that you can carry into the room you are using, thus controlling the temperature in that, the currently most important room.

simontax likes this.
  3. simontax

simontax New Member

Thanks for the reply Bob, it seemed pretty logical to me so I'm grateful for the confirmation.

The house is built over four floors, and we have converted the basement to be the TV den. It's a simple job to relocate the wired thermostat from the ground floor into the basement (the coolest room if left to its own devices), and all the other radiators already have TRVs. Rather than just move the existing thermostat, I wanted to look for the most economical way to combine the relocation with introducing a variable-temperature timer, and this seemed the easiest way. I'm not fussed about being able to move it around, but thanks for the thought.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Not sure why you need a thermostat if the rads are already controlled by TRVs, but each to his or her own, I suppose..

5. simontax

simontax New Member

Well I guess it's the best way to cut off demand when the house comes up to the selected temperature.

6. It comes under Building Regulations Part L 2002.

7. Hi Simon.

You have it sussed - it's exactly as you say.

And, yes, very few mains powered ones these days - I guess it's 'cos battery-powered means simple 2-wire connection.

As said above, battery units last at least a year, often more like two, so not a hassle in practice. Having said that, I personally went out of my way to get a mains one - a Heatmiser - for my own house.

This iQ is cracking value - the savings will pay for lots of batteries: http://www.screwfix.com/p/iqe-7-day-programmable-room-thermostat-with-li-ion-battery-back-up/53575

8. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

That is also my feeling, in mothers house we have TRV's to control each room, their operation is such that the TRV opens and closes gradually so during the heart of winter the boiler flame height varies to match demand from the radiators, giving a constant control, which is far better than the thermostat can do.

However as summer approaches then the TRV has a problem, the heat required is less than the minimum supply the boiler can give, so boiler starts to cycle, and although there is anti-cycle software in the boiler at some point you need something to switch off the boiler.

In an ideal world the eTRV connects to a hub which in turn tells the boiler to switch off, however that is expensive, so cheap way around the problem is to have a thermostat set to switch the whole system off.

There is again a problem, where do you put the thermostat? normal answer is coldest room, but in mothers house that is not easy, the hall is coldest room, however it has the front door so the radiator is large, so it can re-heat the room fast, this would mean the hall heats up faster than other rooms, even though we would like it to be colder than other rooms, so we also fit a TRV to hall in spite of it having the thermostat in that room, what we do is set TRV to start closing at 18°C and wall thermostat is set to 19°C so hall heats up quickly to 18°C but takes a lot longer to reach 19°C which allows for other rooms to also get warm.

So if you change the temperature of the wall thermostat you also need to change the temperature of the TRV to match, so although you can set a defrost of say 12°C and normal of 19°C you can't really have the wall thermostat change temperatures throughout the day, as the TRV would also need to change to match.

However there is nothing to stop you fitting eTRV's and having bedroom only heated at night and living rooms only heated in the day, mothers house I have two eTRV's one in mothers bedroom and one in her living room, and with the latter evening temperature is highest, night lowest, with something in between for the daytime.

I used a wifi linked eTRV but in hind sight and hind sight is easy, it did not need to be the wifi type, the Pegler Terrier i-temp i30 would have done the job just as well as the MiHome heads I fitted without need for a central hub, clearly not perfect as when the valve calls for more heat, you will only get that heat if the boiler is running. But unless you go whole hog and get something like EvoHome then you have to accept it is not perfect.

Of course there are exceptions, with a hot air rather than wet system then programmable thermostats work well, and with open plan homes again they can work well, but in the main the thermostat is only there to stop boiler cycling in the summer, it does little or nothing in the winter the TRV does all the work, and if you want to change temperatures through the day you use eTRV heads in those rooms.

With Nest you can set the MiHome eTRV to follow Nest using the ITTT system, however since I want the thermostat to be set at 19°C and TRV at 18°C that would not work, I need the TRV to be rather poor controlling temperature for it to work with the wall thermostat, the eTRV is too good, so to get what I have now, which is when front door is opened the hall quickly reheats, but it does not get hot enough to switch off the wall thermostat until whole house is warm, would be hard to set with a eTRV they are too good.

9. simontax

simontax New Member

I appreciate it's a free world but can we please keep this thread free of discussion of systems that consist of only TRVs with no room thermostat? TRVs do not communicate with the boiler so if they are the only control mechanism in the system, and they all close, the boiler will continue to run, the pump will continue to pump, and I can only guess what might happen next. Possibly some safety device will be tripped in the boiler before disaster strikes. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the very idea sounds like the height of stupidity.

Thanks for the input from those suggesting such setups, but I'm really not interested.

10. simontax

simontax New Member

Hi Devil's A

Thanks for the reassurance, much appreciated, and the link to the iQ - that's a very competitive price.

My preference would be mains powered rather than battery, so I've taken a look at Heatmiser Slimline and Touchscreen models, and now I'm wondering how they didn't come up in my searching before!

The only puzzle left is their wiring diagram - would you care to comment please? If I understand the three-wire connection correctly, it's live, neutral and load. There are terminals L and N for Live and Neutral, of course. Then there's A1 and A2 with the switch icon. So the third wire (the load) goes to A1, but then should I bridge L to A2, supplying live to the switch circuit? Does that look right, or will they already be connected inside the box? They can't be, otherwise A2 wouldn't be a terminal. I guess the answer would be to wire up L and N then test A2 (and A1) for live.

Simon

Untitled.png

11. Again, you've got it.

Convention would have it that the wire link you'd take from the 'L' to the A terminal would go to A1, and then the 'load' ("switched live") would connect to A2. But of course it would work either way around - it's chust a switch.

Every wire that becomes 'live' at some point - L, A1 and A2 - should have a red or brown sleeve (eg tape) placed around it to ID this.

My thoughts on the Heatmiser - not as sensitive as I thought it would be (tho' perhaps that's an issue with location as much as anything else) and not at all intuitive to set up and use. Eg - I need to consult the 'help' card in order to change BSTs twice a year.

It certainly works and does its intended job, but I would need to consult the instructions if I needed to change anything - other than a quick temp over-ride which I've remembered how to do!

It also doesn't keep perfect time - it's currently around 10 minutes fast (not a huge concern, of course).

Good points? It sits in a back box so is very neat, and - that's it. Oh yes, the display lights up when you press a button...

simontax likes this.
  12. simontax

simontax New Member

Hi DA

Once again thanks for the reassurance.

I had laugh, my first draft had A1 and A2 reversed as you suggest, but then I looked at the arrangement of the terminals in the diagram: L, N and A1 are arranged in a block of three, nicely matching the three cores of the wiring to the thermostat. So I swapped the load (switched live) to A1 and bridged L to A2. As you say, it makes no difference as the switch is not directional. I have a length of red sheathing to label all live wires, so it will be clear what's been done.

I note your further comments on the Heatmiser, I'll probably splash out on the Touchscreen model.

Many thanks again and very best wishes

Simon

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. It's nice, but not that nice... :eek:

simontax likes this.