Replacing archway in external wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by 14th edition, Jan 16, 2017.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Moving to a bungalow which has been extended. In one bedroom is an archway through what was originally the outside wall [1963, 4-2-4]. I would like to remove this archway, leave a post either side to support the lintel, at the moment the pillars supporting the archway take up a good 350mm either side.
    What type of lintel would you go for? The span is 1800.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can you post a pic or two, will help make the right choice.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could not keep the orginal arch as that's taking the load, & infill below arch with stud work, plasterboard, then skimmed?

4. 14th edition

No, we need to make opening bigger.... the support pillars are too wide and it closes the extension off. I would like to remove archway[ I realise I will need to support roof!] and some of the support pillars with the time of getting the lintel as close as possible to the ceiling.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You done this type of work before? If not be careful and maybe get a builder around to give some advice / quote.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

We need photo's.

7. 14th edition

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remove the plaster above the arch, you might be surprised & find a lintel.I've seen wall with a arch that had huge lintel in place, so the arch below was non load bearing & purely decorative.
    If you need to put a lintel in, then you need 150mm bearing minimum each end, is it a gable end wall?

9. 14th edition

Wall to wall its 2400 and a 10" wall, I would prefer to use a catnic lintel but not sure of type!

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So,it could be cavity wall any masonry above in loft.

Without being there to have a nosey, it's difficult recommend a catnic,might getaway with a CN51C,with so many variable, you need a builder to look at the job.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  11. 14th edition

It is cavity, no not gable so supporting bungalow roof.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With it being a cavity wall,you should be able to have a opening the full width of the room without piers intruding into the room, but without actually being there it's difficult to suggest a lintel, or whether you can get a full width opening.