Replacing Back Boxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Andrew_Herts, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

Hi,

I had to replace a electrician due to the poor quality of his work.

He used really cheap sockets so I opted to get these changed.

However as he used 25mm back boxes rather than 35mm back boxes, the new sockets don't fit.

How long should it take to switch these over? I think about 15 back boxes will need to be switched.

Thanks

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Depends if the wall has to be chiseled out to accommodate the 35mm boxes.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

I doubt the original electrician chiselled to 35mm, the 25mm was probably time saving exercise.

So additional 10mm will need to be created.

4. You will have more damage now than fitting 35mm boxes fom the start.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Drill a series of holes to correct depth and chisel out to make the hole for the new boxes.

Andrew_Herts likes this.
  6. Andrew_Herts

Andrew_Herts Member

Thanks Koolpc

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Have you got an SDS drill?
    An sds chisel would do one in under 5 minutes

If not, kools method of drill a bunch of holes and then hand chisel works well.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could hire small sds breaker with scutch chisel for a day might be an option.

Drill cost is around £20 a day, might get a better deal with a smaller independent hire shop.

And don't forget to use grommet on the knockout to prevent cable chaffing.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    koolpc and Joe95 like this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Good option too with the cost of sds chisels and that it is only 15 boxes.

Could mean the difference between half an hour for each box or 5 minutes per box.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Of course, easier method but a lot more messy would be my favored way................Dynamite! :p

Joe95 likes this.
  11. Have never used an SDS chisel to cut out a box as I have seen the mess it can make.
    I prefer to take the little bit of extra time with a Scutch Chisel, Bolster and club hammer to ensure a neat job and a nice flat surface to fix to.

TP&N likes this.
  12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Indeed, as the cables will be in the boxes, and I guess the wall is now plastered?
    If that is the case then you have to make a hole bigger than the box itself so that you can get the cables out, or you cannot remove the old box!

You could, of course, just get sockets that will go into a 25mm box!

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I presume your old electrician chased out the old sockets, so why not get the new one to do the same ?

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

OMG...thats soo slow Deleted member 11267! I couldn't be without my SDS drill and chisel. :cool:Rodin would be proud of me. I can chisel out right-angles everywhere. :D

Joe95 likes this.
  15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Tricks I have used to loosen 25mm deep boxes have included using an SDS chisel on the back box itself to vibrate it from side to side and up and down. It can then usually be manouvered to slide out with a little more persuasion.

I must admit though 25mm back boxes are usually sufficient depth for normal white accessory plates. o_O The ones that need 35mm are the thin flat plate style that look so ok yah thats so cool dude ok yar.

16. Still do it the way I was taught when I served my Apprenticeship.I have a few middle to top of the range SDS drills, but would never dream of using them for cutting out boxes.
    It may be slower the way I do it but it is a far neater job.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You ain't seen my chopping out, dude. Proud of it tbh, a joy to behold. :D

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

To remove a metal back box I usually fold each side and top & bottom inwards with a chisel and hammer, they come out quite easily that way and for cutting the hole or making a single into a double I use the scutch chisel and club hammer.

19. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

last time i helped a sparking friend with a job i was lucky enough to use www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-ebs-tri-cut-circular-cutter/65294 he followed me up with www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-ebs-single-box-cutter/65150 or for the doubles www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-ebs-double-box-sinker/64983 and i must say it was the fasted way to do them (could cut a box in 3 mins (once i got going that is) had a adapted weed sprayer for dust suppersion stuck to the side of the drill (just had to keep pumping it up) then had a bucket of water to dump the boring head into (after every 6 holes ground) as it was old concrete but yea best i have ever used)

20. Paco de Lucia

Paco de Lucia Member

*** just buy some sockets that fit