Replacing basin hot water tap - how to safely turn off water supply

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Shayne1979, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Shayne1979

Shayne1979 New Member

Hi - just in the process of attempting to replace a broken hot water tap in the downstairs toilet. I have turned off the water supply (under the kitchen sink) so far we now have no cold water and no hot water in the upstairs bathroom. However hot water is still coming out downstairs. How to I cut off the supply of hot water so I can change the tap. I have attached a picture of the cylinder (it's a megaflow indirect) many thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most likely it's water just left in the pipework.

Are there no isolator valves under the basin on the pipes to isolate water to taps.

3. Shayne1979

Shayne1979 New Member

Unfortunately i need to change the connecting pipe to the tap so need to cut of the water to the bathroom. I have been running hot water for a few mins but there is no sign of the water stopping. (Although the pressure is a lot lower.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

May take several minutes depending how much pipework there is to drain.

5. Shayne1979

Shayne1979 New Member

Ok. So far I've switched off the supply under the sink. The hot water continuely trickles from the kitchen hot tap (pipes start banging upstairs as this happens is that safe?). But the downstairs toilet hot tap flows as if the water hasn't been switched off.

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I haven't had it all done yet but it is well worthwhile to get flexible connectors with valves fitted to all hot and cold taps and toilets. Then you can change anything very easily.
    Like this;
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-connector-with-valve-15mm-x-x-300mm/3558g
    I appreciate that this does not help the OP.
    If you have turned off the cold supply to the house then eventually all hot water will drain off from tanks and pipework as night follows day:)

tore81 likes this.
  7. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Wouldn't advise the use of a flexi unless absolutely necessary as you are fitting a weak point into the system.
    If you don't have isolation valves then you really should fit some they are required under water regulations 1999

As for the original question if the mains supply is off run the taps until they stop flowing and open an upstairs tap to let in air to help the drain down it can take upto 30 mins if you have stored hot water and you won't have hot water until you have filled everything back up and your boiler has done a heating cycle

8. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with flexi's DNR, I've been plumbing for nearly 26 yrs and don't see a problem with them.;)

9. DNR Plumbing

Rubber hose with a mechanical protection instead of a hardened metal pipe?? Some not approved and shouldn't be fit anyway I don't like them they take away the skill and need for a good plumber, I have got several jobs due to the fact we use copper, soldered joints and bends,not plastic push fits and flexi pipes unless absolutely necessary or requested

10. plumber-boy

You're talking nonsense. smileys-beating-and-fighting-820903.gif

11. DNR Plumbing

How?? If you look on our hosts site you will see they sell non wras approved flexi pipes therefore iligal to fit in the uk
    I've been out to rather a few failed flexi pipes that have burst inside a house but no burst copper in a house
    I've seen push fit blow apart but never seen a soldered joint blow apart
    So I stand by it flexi pipes are weak non necessary part in the system

12. plumber-boy

Its all down to the quality of product you use as with anything, that's fact.
    I've been out to end feed blown apart its not that uncommon.

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

DNA the differance between wras approved pipes is they are fit for drinking water, nothing to do with strenght, I will also point out that 90% of modern taps are supplied with flexi pipes, Modern bath taps which fit to the floor cannot be fitted unless you use flexi's, a modern toilet will need to use flexi's as the pipes are hidden so the connection is made then pushed inside and hidden.
    so all these items are unsafe to use in houses?? is it the world or you thats wrong?

14. DNR Plumbing

Yes taps are supplied with flexi pipes but can be swapped to copper if you wish

Floor standing taps can be fitted with ridged pipes no problems if you know how.

Hidden toilets often fail to meat regulations do to the following taken straight from the regulations, how do you connect the pipe to the full valve without a joint??

No fitting which is designed to be operated or maintained, whether manually or electronically, or which consists of a joint, shall be a concealed water fitting.

15. plumber-boy

Nice try. laughing-my-ass-off-smiley-emoticon.gif

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its no good preaching the ten commandments here, you need to give a serman to, screwfix,toolstation,victoria plumbing,bettabathroom,bathroomsdirect in fact all the plumbing industry, you know more than ALL of them, o_O

PaulBlackpool and KIAB like this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sermon.:D

Evening Mr Plum, good to see here again, come to restore some order.:)

18. plumber-boy

Oiiii !!!! What about me.:p

19. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Hi KIAB, just passing and saw this, I keep looking in to see if pickleface is around, I'm trusting you and dave to keep order, ;)