Replacing External Upvc Sill

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Pagloss, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

I would be grateful for some advice please.

One of my external upvc will sills has been badly damaged. Is it possible to replace this without having to remove the window and frame?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Have you got brickwork under the sill, it would be easier to remove the brick under it than to remove the glass and trying to jack up the frame to remove the sill.

Is it possible to post up a pic or two, so we can give a definite answer.

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if you are unlucky enough to have had the windows fitted by a lazy fitter they might just be foamed in - so running a saw between the outside of the frame and the brickwork should/could allow the entire window to be pushed out from the inside - if it's been fixed using lugs (and you don't mind repairing or replacing your reveals) you'll be able to do the same

knocking out the few bricks below might sound a bit of a faff but it's likely to be the quickest method, unless their is a stone cill below the UPVC one

4. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

There is brickwork below and the sill is on a bed of mortar

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

do what PTP says

6. Phil the Paver

Ok, this is the best route to take, remove the whole course of bricks below the sill, then you can knock the sill down away from the frame and remove it, use the old sill as a template for the new one and fit in reverse of the above.

7. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Yep there is brickwork below the Window and the cull is laid on a bed of mortar

8. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Do you think there would be sufficient clearance if I just removed the mortar bed rather than the whole course of brickwork, it's about 15 mm thick?

9. Phil the Paver

If it is 15mm you may be lucky, the frame doesn't sit into the sill that much, maybe 10mm.:)

10. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Ok I'll try that first. Do I need to support the window frame while I do this?

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

and pray that there aren't any self tappers holding the cill to the frame (it happens) :(

12. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Knowing my luck I can guarantee there will be :(

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you'll be fine - don't forget to drop the cill down before you start trying to pull it outwards, you need to get the internal lip clear of the bottom of the frame first - shown at the right of the profile below

[​IMG]

14. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Brilliant thanks for that

15. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

16. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

Will the window frame not drop when the sill is removed?

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

nope, if it's a reasonably modern one it'll be fixed using lugs such as the below that clip to the outside of the profile and screwed to the inner skin - if the window drops when you take out the cill you didn't need to do what PTP told you to do ;)

[​IMG]

18. Pagloss

Pagloss Member

That's great. Cheers Sean

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

More than likely the sill has been screwed to the underside of the frame, upwards through the sill!!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. Biffo

Biffo Member

why modern windows fitted with lugs ???????? i only use these on new builds