Replacing floorboards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Feb 20, 2017.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

Could someone give me some advice on the best way to deal with this.

I need to replace two floorboards next to each other but I couldn't buy the original 22mm x 112mm floorboards so I had to buy 18mm x 108mm but now I have big gaps between each floorboard and I need to raise the floorboards 4mm. I did think of buying a piece of hardboard and fixing it to the new floorboards but will this look stupid.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Only if it's on the top! :D

Doall and CGN like this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

HB is 3mm, ply is 4MM.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Put the packing on each joist to raise the boards. Buy a length of 19 x 12 and pin it to one of the board sides.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Find a better timber merchant.

Joe95 likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You would be better keeping what you bought for another project and try and source some old style floor boards from a salvage yard or have a wander around the streets to see what is iin some skips

7. lemonade

lemonade Member

I've tried but you cannot buy 22mm x 112mm floorboards that was used in the 1960.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Could combine it and look for 'road kill' at the same time.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Reclamation yard.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Are the floorboards on show? Just checking as if not, bodge any old bit of wood in there :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In the past I've lifted floorboards from a cupboard to patch an exsisting floor which was visible, & put down ply in cupboard.

CGN likes this.
  12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

A proper timber yard can cut to size and plane to thickness. A real work place with sawdust and men having a swear and a roll up.

Not a shed with people in aprons.

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who goes skip hunting!:) There is always some good stuff to be found.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You're describing chips there...:p

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another one who goes skip hunting,even on holiday,:oops: had some great finds.:)

Joe95 likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Isn't that 'The Great British Bake Off'

KIAB likes this.
  17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As said already, a decent real timber yard will machine that for you in minutes. As you are fitting these in, T&G is not needed and will get in the way.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can get timber that thick and even wider but you would have to do the t&g yourself.
    I came of the rollies 15 years ago, my lungs are still buggered.

19. lemonade

lemonade Member

I went to my local timber merchant today and they only do 18mm and 20mm floorboards so if I bought a thicker piece of timber would they be able to rip it down with the table saw they have.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Where are you based?