Replacing glass on smashed ceramic hob

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Marello, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Marello

Marello New Member

Hi,

I've managed to smash my ceramic hob with a bottle of olive oil of all things. I've found the replacement glass part from Zanussi, at just £20 less than the cost of buying the whole hob again.

Is replacing the glass a simple task? I'm trying to decide what to do with limited DIY knowledge. I understand that it's possible heating elements underneath could also be damaged and so am considering buying an entirely new hob. My step dad will help me with the task itself but I'm aware that my current model of cooker (http://ao.com/product/ZEV6940XBV-Zanussi-Ceramic-Hob-Black-24860-1.aspx?disableredirect=1) requires an electrician to hardwire it in.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and tips you can offer.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If there's that little difference between repair and replacement of the complete hob i'd say replace it, especially if you or your step dad are inexperienced with working with electrical appliances. Very often the case these days that parts costs almost as much as a replacement unit. Worth checking whether your household insurance covers this.

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

£240 for a complete new hob - £220 for just the replacement glass top - if you don't feel competent to replicate how it was connected it's an easy decision to make, even if you have to pay £40 for a spark for 30 minutes to complete to final connection

the glass appears to have been priced such as to discourage folks from trying to replace it

4. You'd have to be complete nuts to think of replacing just the glass for a £20 saving.

Stark raving bonkers. A LOON!

Welcome to the forum - you'll fit in.

If you can still get the exact same hob - so's it's the same size - then you'll find swapping the wires easy. Take photos of the wiring terminals and post them on here if you need to, but it's obviously going to be a case of SHUT OFF THE POWER, and unscrew 3 terminals and shift 'em over. Maaan, you won't even have to trim the wires to length.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  5. Marello

Marello New Member

Ah I see it more as a £90 saving given the cost of calling out an electrician in central London.

Anyway it seems that it is better all round to just get a new hob, and plastic bottles for my cooking oils ;0).

Thanks for the advice!

6. I'm guessing that to replace the glass you'd have to remove the whole hob from the worktop anyway? In which case, there's by far the biggest part of the job done.

I know leccy stuff is scary for inexperienced people - and it certainly should be - but I think this is as straight-forward a wiring job as you could possible have. The main issue - cutting the wires to length and trimming back the right amount of insulation - will already have been done, so provided you know how to wield a screwdriver (and/or perhaps a small spanner), then you should be able to do this task with confidence.

Buy your new hob, unwrap it and look at the terminal box - take a photo and post it on here, and we'll guide you through.

As long as you know how to hold a screwdriver/spanner, you'll be fine.